Should I be concerned about my dealer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DenD

Jun 7, 2006
CT
I ordered my new insert on 7/1 and am already having doubts about my dealer and am looking for some advice.

When I placed the order he told me the insert should arrive within 2-3 weeks and would be installed in the end of July or beginning of August. He said my timing was "perfect" and he would have it installed before his busy season started. When the middle of August rolled around and I hadn't heard from him, I thought I would call to check on the expected delivery date. When I called he was out of the office, so I talked with his secretary, who took a detailed message and said he would call me back that afternoon. Four days went by with no call, so I called him again. Same routine, detailed message and was told he would call me back that day. Six days pass with no call, so I call again. I finally get him on the phone and he acts as if I'm bothering him for calling. He new my name and exactly why I was calling, so obviously he got my messages. He was very short and said don't worry "your on my list". When I asked him when the stove would be in, he said he had to call the manufacturer and find out. He also said something about having my stove held up until he had more orders from that manufacturer so he could save on freight charges.

I'm concerned that if he won't return my call prior to installation and receiving full payment, how bad will he be after he cashes my check? Should I try to cancel my order, get my deposit back and buy from another dealer? I was very easy going when I called and wasn't angry about the stove being late (it is still August), I just wanted a time-frame. So I was totally shocked by the poor customer service.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If he is a small dealer, he could be waiting to to get severl units so he can save freight. Did you agree to pay freight? if you did he is just trying to make a little more money. No excuse for the customer service. If this is an example of before the sale. Good luck with getting help after the sale. I agree with fesbo, if you can get your money and run. If you paid the deposit with a credit card, just depute it, and dont bother calling him back. What type of insert did you order? how long has this guy been in buninses?

You have more patients than me. I would of taken my money somewhere else long ago. I hate when people don't return calls. Go visit him and demand a install date or a refund.

Thanks for the input guys. That's what I was thinking too.

MSG - I am not paying freight (I'm assuming it was included in the total price). I don't mind him trying to maximize his profits by combining orders, but not by delaying my order so that the unit hasn't even been shipped a month after it was to be installed. With no appology! The guy has been in business since 1995, initially as a chimney, masonry services company. I'm not sure when he added his stove shop, but its been there since I moved to town about 2 years ago. I ordered an Osburn 1600 insert.

MSG is absolutely right. The guy is essentially saying he hasn't even ordered your stove yet. Please, please say that deposit was on a credit card. Just call your card provider and ask for a reversal of the charge due to non-delivery of the merchandise.

Otherwise, you are headed for a fifty dollar of so filing fee and ten minutes in small claims court. Of course the day you file in small claims he will know he is screwed and refund the deposit.

I kinda has the same problem with a lame dealer. Its all about the $$ and then dont want to cal back or take care of issues . The stove i ordered i wanted and i knew the dealer was wack . I call the manufacture and let them know what was going on after an "extra" month of the B.S. Well 1 day after i called the manufacture of the stove i get a call from the dealer with a LOT of "O' I'm so sorry" bla , bla , bla and the stove company sent my stove to me 1 week later. Unsure why some dealers think they have to lie and B.S. Good luck with your stove. PS There is a good chance YOU "CAN" buy your stove off the Internet . There cheaper but the shipping will bring it up to about the dealer cost.

Fortunately, my deposit is on a credit card. I will call the dealer on Monday morning and be more forcefull about making him commit to a specific install date or refunding my deposit. If it doesn't work out, I'll handle it with my credit card company.

So far this whole process has been very frustrating. On top of the problems with the dealer, my first firewood delivery was 1 cord short on a 3 cord load. The guy did deliver an additional cord after a few phone calls. Surprisingly, he didn't even check my measurements, so I think his practice is to deliver very short loads and hope that people don't notice. On the bright side, it is very nice wood and is actually seasoned!

I cant stress this enough, if your dealer is this bad BEFORE the sale, YOU WILL have nightmares after the sale. If he had the insert right now, ready to install it, I would seriously still consider backing out. Since he doesnt , that makes it even easier. Listen to Roo. he will tell you.

That voice you are hearing is telling what to do. You have problems now what happens when you get a **itty install
You can't get him to respond when you will be paying him, what do you think your chances are when he gets buszy and all is paid?

Do you really want to be put in a compromised position should faulty installation occure or you need warranty work.
Credit card companies are open to busuness 24-7 That vioce of reasoning it telling you to make the call

Problem with internet sales is service, and finding someone to install it. If there isnt a osborn dealer in town thats worth anything, then consider buying a different brand. There are plenty of good ones out there.

The sad truth is that many areas do not have a reputable dealer. When we had a store in NJ - a very populated area, there were not any other reputable dealers within 20 miles or so.

I can understand 2 weeks turning to 3-4 weeks - but 3 months.....NO.

Stoves have been in decent supply and any dealer with some smarts would have a couple hundred grand worth of product in the warehouse by now. Yes, I know there are small dealers wo say they cannot afford this, but these dealers are going to have a tough time with any supply during times of heavy deman.

Another option you could take ........ You might be able to look up the stove manufacture on a web site per there web site and a lot of manufacture web site will give you a list of local dealers and or the USA list. You might be able to find another dealer close . Just another option for you .

Hi, Den what town is this dealer in? I'm in CT too and was wondering. I have heard same stories about a particular dealer in Milford.

well, at least it was with a credit card! If there are any disputes, the credit card company immediately debits the vendors accound and credits your own....good for the consumer, bad for the dealer, as it should be. Kinda an unfair playing field for the dealer, if an unreasonable customer has an "issue" after the sale and install, the vendor is immediately debited, up to 18 months later in the small test on some card agreements. That being said, this isnt an unreasonable customer. Id call the cc company TODAY, and get my deposit back, and find greener pastures....thats coming from a dealer, Den. Problems this early in the game would make me very leery. This is the height of the season, and its understandable if its a small shop who has only one installer, that they may get behind, but he isnt even telling you that! If he said something like...."...I have to do them in the order that they are ordered, and you are the 9th one down the list...." etc, that'd be better than the excuses you are hearing now. Get out while the gettings good....no point going to small claims if you used the card...call the cc company, get your deposit back! The only negative here would be in going to a new dealer at this time of year, youre gonna get on their waiting list as well.....and please dont go into the new dealer with a chip on your shoulder saying theres two strikes against him already because of what that other guy did.....You seem fair and intelligent, so I think you will make out ok. Make sure to tell all your friends about your saga as well. Good word of mouth is good, but bad word of mouth is awful in this biz. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.