Should I be concerned about our chimney, look at pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
Earlier this summer we noticed that between two rows of bricks the cement was missing, there was a crack visible. I went up and attempted to move the top of the chimney and it was solid so I didnt think anything of it.

Well today I was outside and I always look at the chimney and I saw smoke coming out of the crack! This is new, it wasnt doing it a few days ago.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/mjenphil/WoodBoiler/CIMG1916-800x600.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/mjenphil/WoodBoiler/CIMG1916-closeup2.jpg

My only fear for this winter is the top may possibly be completely loose and could fall from high winds. Im thinking of securing it with angle iron and straps to hold it onto the base.

Id say the liner is cracked and would need to have the whole top of the chimney removed and rebuilt, but next summer would be much better timing. Agreed??

THanks

~ Phil

Phil, I used to sweep chimneys for a living. I would be concerned with the condition of the rest of the chimney. That part will most likely not come crashing down unless you start loosing individual bricks. I would definitely call a sweep to closely inspect the chimney. Its not something I would put off.

Holy Cow Phil:

:ahhh: I'd look into a stainless steel liner. I did on one of my chimneys. Works great, and I patched up the chimney, but I don't know why you have space all the way around, somehow it may have dropped?

All I know, I don't like that smoke coming out like that and wouldn't want a flue fire. Ya better investigate it.

JohnBoy

I'd look into lining it, and then repointing the joints in the top, especially where it's "loose". If done properly, I'd think you'd be safe enough. I've seen chimney fires where the fire department just nudged the chimney top, and the thing came crashing off the roof. Notice when a guy is working on the ladder truck, or roof surface if the ladder can't approach, nobody's standing around under the eaves looking up... when fighting a chimney fire.

Yow! not confidence inspiring!

just a guess, but it looks to me like a situation where maybe the original chimney was not tall enough and puffed back, so someone added some courses of brick to make it taller-- but apparently did not do as good a job as they should have to prepare the top of the old and tie it into the new.... I am no expert, but what makes me think that is the way that the dis-union seems uniform at the same height all around. random mortar problems usually seem, well, more random...

definitely get this straighened out- it looks like a structural & personnel hazard waiting to happen, and if that much smoke is going sideways out the joint, it may mess with your draft and lead to build-up of crud in the upper parts of the flue, which seems like it could get into a vicious cycle

if push came to shove in terms of dealing with it this winter (when it is really too late already to do any mortar work without elaborate effort and expense) and if, as I remember, you are using a gasifier, I almost think that if you could get a friendly person with a crane to take the top loose section off, that'd be better than leaving it there.

good luck in dealing with it

HI all thanks for the comments/thoughts. Im going to go up and take a hands on look at it. We are not using a gasifier (Wish I had one!) so cresote buildup and a possible fire is my concern. The chimney is all original, it wasnt recapped. Its about 15 years old. I agree with Craig that freezing/thaw broke it with the crack.

Thanks ~ Phil

Well if anyones interested in what I found and what we did. The mortar was missing almost all the way around, one side was still there. The whole top moved and was loose, IE I could shift it around carefully. I could not find a hole through the liner but it must be leaking through a liner seam and then out the row missing mortar. We filled the row with Quick Crete Water Seal and then to make sure the top doesnt fall off when im cleaning the chimney or by hurricane winds I took four pieces of angle iron and some 1/8" steel cable and secured the top piece to the chimney. Angle iron on the corners secured by the cable wrapped around. Holding very securely and after the crete was dry we fired up the wood boiler and no smoke leaking anymore.

Next spring we will get a mason out to look it over and fix it how ever they recommend. IE if necessary tear the top off and rebuild or whatever. Ive spend my home improvement wad on the wood boiler and indirect DHW tank this year.

~ Phil

:coolsmile: Way to go Philip. Two thumbs up!! Good job. :sick: I ate to much Turkey and Pie!! Hope all had a Happy Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.