should I be concerned about this Jotul Oslo stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullystull

Feeling the Heat
May 7, 2008
WV Mountains
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110249843088&Category=20598

This stove is up for auction on ebay. The seller has suffered a fire this winter and is looking to get rid of the stove and no longer heat with wood. He/she has stated the following about the stove:

"this stove's history: We acquired the house (including the stove) in November 2007. The prior owners informed us that they had purchased the stove for $1600 in 2001 or so. A chimney fire last month convinced us that we'd just as soon not own a wood stove at all, and thus this sale. Because of the fire, the stove will require maintenance (repainting, new door gaskets, and possibly but not necessarily new "furnace cement" in the seams) before use. The photos I have uploaded include two from the manufacturer's brochure and a third of the actual item offered for sale, taken just after the chimney fire was extinguished and showing it at its absolute worst. It has since been thoroughly cleaned to the best of my ability. (I have some ethical qualms about selling a woodstove at all: I don't want one in *my* family's home due to safety concerns, and so is it ethical to sell one? My conclusion is that if you - the buyer - make a fully informed decision, then perhaps this is not unethical. So: the ball is in your court! *If* you want a woodstove, I believe this is one of the best made.)"

I have asked about the stove's condition...ie any cracks or other major damage and they said just the door's gaskets would need replacing. Should I ask any other questions or be concerned that the stove is not in suitable condition?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• jotul.JPG
    jotul.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 692
I would be concerned as to why somebody selling an item would choose to list it in its "absolute worst" condition, and not take the time to snap a new photo of the cleaned up product.

Perhaps the guy really just wants it gone and doesn't care about money due to his apparent ethical dilemma, but if that were the case I would have just listed it as "free" on Craigslist and it would be gone in a heartbeat.

I'd walk away unless you are local and can go see the stove in person.

<edit>
I looked at the listing directly and I see it is local pickup. I guess he's legit, although not a very smart seller IMO.

Maybe they're just trying to be honest. It will never look great. The enamel is damaged and paint is not the same thing. My concern is how they put out the fire and what was used. If it cracked castings, then I'd probably pass unless it was free. But who knows, maybe it is just leakage from a fire extinguisher used on both doors. The only inspection I would trust would be with my own eyes. Somehow, at 900 starting I don't think they'll see a lot of takers.

(Note the complete lack of front hearth & inadequate side hearth. They were playing with fire in more ways than one.)

BeGreen said:
Maybe they're just trying to be honest. It will never look great. The enamel is damaged and paint is not the same thing. My concern is how they put out the fire and what was used. If it cracked castings, then I'd probably pass unless it was free. But who knows, maybe it is just leakage from a fire extinguisher used on both doors. The only inspection I would trust would be with my own eyes. Somehow, at 900 starting I don't think they'll see a lot of takers.

(Note the complete lack of front hearth & inadequate side hearth. They were playing with fire in more ways than one.)

Good advice....pass.
The initial cost of a new stove will be amortized easily in a few years with savings. $2000. cost/10 years = ????.
Don't fool with another's mistakes or carelessness.

I am trying to set up a visit to see the stove in person. I want to check all of the seams to see if there are any cracks. If there aren't, I can live with cosmetic damage. Anything else I should inspect? Also, what do you feel a fair price for the stove would be?

If the stove has no cracked castings (and that could be hard to tell until it heats up again), and if the seam cement is not badly damaged, and if the glass is not cracked and if there isn't other damage due to prior misuse (like a warped grate or secondary manifold), then maybe $500. That's a lot of ifs, and as noted, there is the risk of not discovering issues until the stove is hot and burning strongly. On the other hand it could have been a simple freakout and the stove is structurally not that bad. Hard to tell from one picture. The F500 is a tough, well built stove so ultimately it comes down to what it's worth to you. For comparison there is a virtually new one for sale in VT right now for asking $1695.

To inspect it will take some foreknowledge of how it is put together. Expect to get dirty, so if this is still in their living room, bring protection for their home and a shopvac. At the least, remove the top for an view of the inside above the secondaries and a bit of the corner seams. The insulation blanket may be trashed. If so, point that out. I'd also visit a stove shop and really study a new one well, maybe take some reference photos to bring with you. A bright light in the stove with the glass blocked off with a light block (taped cardboard) may reveal leakage normally not visible.

Thanks for the info...all of you!!! I really appreciate it. Even though I am set on buying a F500, this one may not be it. Like you said...there's a lot of if's. Anyone know of another oslo for sale in the mid-atlantic region??

There's bound to be several showing up before fall. Keep an eye out on eBay and craigslist.

To aid your searching do a regular Google search of - “Jotul” site:craigslist.org or “Jotul wood stove” site:craigslist.org . I don't see anything now, but there are new postings constantly. Just be ready to jump on a good one. They tend to go quickly if priced right.

yep....my wife thinks I'm obsessed with my daily ebay/craigslist searches for this stove. I just hate to buy new when I know a used one will eventually become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.