Should I be surprised?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Hurricane Irene gave me a gift of about a cord of black locust, which I CSS'd immediately.

Just for kicks, I checked a couples of fresh splits today- around 19-23%.

Guess I could burn 'em in the event of zombie apocalypse... for some reason I thought they'd be lower.

Sounds right. I have BL that was c/s/s in April and the 4 pieces i checked a month or so ago were all 20-25%. So pretty much dead on with mine. I hear people say BL can be burned within 1 year but I wouldn't if cut green unless I was in a desert climate. Now I have cut some dead standing and dead blow down that was less than 20% when cut. One more summer and it should be good to go for next year if you want to burn it then. I would guess from past experience that it should be 13-16% next year and that is when I think it starts burning pretty good. I usually hang onto my BL and burn everything else first since I don't have to worry about BL punking or rotting. I have had some that was c/s/s for 7 years and it was still pretty much perfect.

I'll be splitting some BL shortly. Only stuff that's already pretty dry will go into the stack for this Fall.

bluedog, it should be really nice next fall.

Backwoods Savage said:
bluedog, it should be really nice next fall.

It'll also fit real nice into the new 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.