Should I buy a Jotul System 18 fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmcp

Mar 18, 2007
I was looking for a gently used fireplace insert and saw a posting for a Jotul System 18. I couldn't find any information on it, and then found out why. The insert is 12 years old. I was told by the owner that it was only used a few times. My concern is that it doesn't use firebricks or a blower. I have a small house, but is an insert without a blower a waste of time and money? Also, I wanted to install a steel liner for safety reasons and am not even sure that is possible with this type model. I would appreciate any advice you might have.

My fireplace insert and chimney are in the middle of my house and I didn't need a blower. My climate, however, may be a bit milder than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.