Should I buy a stove or Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davester02

Jul 12, 2008
northeast
I need a little advice. I am not supporting the propane company this winter and have begun exploring all the information on stoves. I am now at the point where I am trying to decide between putting a stove in my living room (2200 sq ft of an open floor plan) or spend extra and put a supplemental furnace in my basement tied to my existing ductwork. I do think I am leaning toward a stove or furnace which burns both corn and pellets. Any advice you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought a St. Croix Revolution last month, going to tie into existing ductwork. It's designed to burn either pellets or corn, or a combination. Good luck.

I was in your situation and decided on the mt vernon ae freestanding stove. After researching the topic to death, the idea of tapping into existing duct work seemed the most feasible since we really never know how well a freestanding stove will heat the area until it's in. However, when I saw how many more pellets a furnace will go through, I changed my mind. The dealer told me I would double my usage with the furnace. Makes sense though, if you think about it. I have propane also at close to 3.00 per gallon. If I had to burn 11 tons this season of pellets, (I have 3000 sq ft), my savings starts to dwindle. Couldn't do it. So what if my living room can only get to 65 as long as my family room and kitchen get to 70, I'm happy. Good luck in your decision but really check the pellet usage with a furnace.

IMO, one of the main considerations is that I need some heat in the cellar. Things like keeping the pipes from freezing, have some heat in my workshop. Also, the cellar is the only available space for pellet storage. Don't want to lug 4 ton into the cellar, then a bag at a time back upstairs all winter to feed a space heater. It may double my pellet usage, but I plan on 0 gallons of oil, rather than just using pellets as a supplement. My $0.02.

You sound like me, I just got turned off on oil. Shooting for an oil free house.

Yeah, this past spring my wife said she didn't care if oil went back to $0.50 / gal., we were done with it. Ya know the old saying,"If Mum ain't happy.............."

Thanks for the advice. I do not have a finished basement and my thought was the pellet storage but with the open design of my house I believe the stove in the living area is the way to go. Two years ago when we moved into this house I was employed by the propane company and was able to get my gas for cost. Last year was the first year that I was not laughing as my neighbors cried. I can only image what it will be like this year. We had a propane fireplace that we just removed to make room for the stove.

There is a breckwell multi fuel from rural king that I am thinking about purchasing today. Any thoughts on that brand?

For what it is worth, do not put off buying. If you know what you want in a stove or a furnace you better act on it and not wait around. From what I have been hearing and seeing prices of stoves are going up all the time, Harman, Breckwell, and a couple others all have 6% and more price increases going into effect in the next few weeks. With the price increase of fuel, steel, and utilities there is no way they can stay afloat unless the raise prices.

Eric

I willing to bet you are going to have a better chance getting a furnace then a stove this year as a furnace is more money, stoves can be much cheaper and look nice in a living space and right now sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.