Should I buy a used Quadrafire Mt Vernon E2?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gpdoyon

Jul 1, 2015
Maine
Hi guys and gals,

Some history, first. My wife and I are leaning heavily towards using a pellet stove to heat the lower level of our split ranch house. Our furnace is 17 years old. It's working great, but, I want to ease it out of the picture before it craps out on us. I've already had a heat pump installed upstairs. It's worked great. It hasn't provided the oil savings that I had thought it would, however. But, it's still too early to tell. Even though home heating oil is cheap today ($2.09/gallon) I know it will go up sooner rather than later.

I've got friends and co-workers that swear by Harman stoves. I saw a nice one, P43, which cost $2,775 new. The salesman says that it'll easily heat a 40x20' area. Our finished basement is roughly 20x20' leaving the un-finished portion heated by excess heat from our forced hot water system. It's done by a "power vent". It's worked great for 17 years. Anyway, I was thinking of cutting some vents in the top of the wall of our finished basement area for heat to bleed over into the un-finished area.

Finally, to my point. I came across a Mt. Vernon E2 that was purchased new in February of 2015. They want to sell it after only putting a ton of pellets through it. The owner is renovating their kitchen and now don't have room for the stove and the area it takes up. They want $2,500 for it. Is this a good deal?

I've also read about the glass "blowing out". I have the owner checking to see if they replaced and parts before/after this situation came up in the field. I don't know how big of a deal it was.

Thoughts?

that seems like a good deal to me. I was split between the e2 and the harman xxv. I got a better deal on the harman so that is what I went with. Just make the sure the e2 hasn't blown up and had the updated board in it and you should be all set. best of luck

that seems like a good deal to me. I was split between the e2 and the harman xxv. I got a better deal on the harman so that is what I went with. Just make the sure the e2 hasn't blown up and had the updated board in it and you should be all set. best of luck

Thanks for the reply! It would have been a great deal if I hadn't procrastinated. It was sold. However, I'm going to look at a two year old (only used one season) Harman P43 pellet stove tomorrow. That one is selling for $2,200. Seems like a good deal as well.

Thanks for the reply! It would have been a great deal if I hadn't procrastinated. It was sold. However, I'm going to look at a two year old (only used one season) Harman P43 pellet stove tomorrow. That one is selling for $2,200. Seems like a good deal as well.
Spend the extra $500 and get a new one. Any used P43 should be under $2000 IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.