Should I buy some logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this figure thrown around a lot and folks tend to believe it. After all, it is on the Internet and some well established folks printed it. I do not believe it for sure! While it is true that the figure could be right for some stacks, I would question that as an average. For a stack of wood to be 1/3 air, that would mean either some very poor stacking or else stacking loosely so that air can circulate to dry faster. Yes, I have some stacks that may meet this figure but certainly not all of them. If someone said 20%, then I might be inclined to believe that more than 33% air. But then, maybe it is hot air?!
I've seen another thing somewhere that air should be about 18%. I just got done stacking two cords and I can't believe that 33% is air, but I stacked it pretty tight. Maybe some commercial guys stack it much looser.
The last two cords I got were from some folks doing some clearing on their land. They knew what a cord should measure, but never measured it before putting in their pickup. I had a nice 4 x 8 squared-up place for them and the first load came up only 3' - 4" high. The mom had a little discussion with the son and made up for it next load, plus stacked it for me and split it down more. I think it was more like 20% air, too. They're bringing me more tomorrow. Nice people but just weren't careful. That was green alder for $120 delivered. If it had been fir, it would probably have been worth more like $145.
The two cords before that were from a guy who was prepared and diligent and had full cords of mixed alder/fir/maple delivered (not stacked) for $135 I think but he has no more. The commercial guys seem to be around $175.

I'll weigh in here Sprinter.
I've had 2 log loads delivered since we started this woodburning thing. Both loads quoted as 20 cord (1st one I split with my brother), and both came out almost exactly that after c/s/s.
1st load was $1300 and 2nd was 1500 about 1.5 years later (fuel went up).
After all was said and done, each cord probably cost me about $80. This was over 95% oak.
Over $140 for logs is pretty steep (here), but what are c/s/d cord going for? I can get c/s/d oak for about $165, so logs are less than 1/2. I may buy some c/s/d next year just 'cause.

I'm going to keep trying to find a log load for a reasonable price. $143/cord for green logs seems a bit rich around here. He seemed unsure about the 7 cords though and maybe he wasn't the right guy to be talking to. I still like the idea, although I don't think I'd do it to save money. Mostly for convenience and fun.

It's interesting that if a cord is stacked in rounds rather than split, then a cord will always be 100 cu ft of solid volume, or about 22% air, regardless of diameter. That's assuming the rounds are nicely cylindrical. (A circle is always .785 of a square) That would also assume the same diameter round throughout the stack, but if some rounds are smaller, then the spacing could be even tighter (think filling in the large gaps with limbs). I've seen a few definitions of a cord assume rounds, but in real life, most people assume split which introduces the inconsistent variables. I still think that 33% air would be really sloppy stacking, though.

If you have a really cool planer you could cut rounds into hex shapes and stack it solid like a beehive. Of course, it would never dry out...

Just rambling.

Did Nate write "let the stove go cold'? I am gonna pretend I didn't read that.

All comes down to dollars and cents in the end. It's not worth my time (or money) to deal with wood if I could heat with natural gas for cheaper. I'd keep a bit on hand still for just in case situations, but I'd go back to to gas for the main heat.

Did Nate write "let the stove go cold'? I am gonna pretend I didn't read that.

Status
Not open for further replies.