Should I buy used Jotul Oslo for $900 or buy a new one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atomichawg

Feb 28, 2009
central virginia
I have a chance to buy a used Jotul Oslo for $900. Is this a fair price? From the pictures it looks to be in good shape, and I can look at it this weekend. It is about 10 years old according to the owners. This model sells new around here for $2245 plus sales tax, but if it qualifies for the 30% tax credit it would be around 1571 after tax rebate. I'm thinking it may be better to go new and have the warranty, but the used on is much more affordable even factoring in the tax credit. I read on here about people having to rebuild cast iron stoves after several years. How often is this done, how much does it cost, and do you have to haul it to a dealer to do it, or can they come to your house to do it. I dont want to buy used and then have to have it rebuilt soon and thus not really be saving that much money plus the hassle. Thanks for any advice.

Only my opinion but I think you should go with the new stove. Two reasons. One is that the cost of a rebuild would eat up most of the difference in price. Number two is that if you are installing new chimney components they would be eligible for the tax credit also and that would bring the difference down even further or eliminate it completely.

Of course the credit depends on Jotul certifying that the stove is eligible which hasn't happened yet.

Re: that tax credit... Does the stove have to be manufactured in the United States? If so, then "fugetaboutit" with a new stove. $900 is a good deal.

Jotul stoves are assembled in Portland, Maine.

atomichawg said:
I have a chance to buy a used Jotul Oslo for $900. Is this a fair price? From the pictures it looks to be in good shape, and I can look at it this weekend. It is about 10 years old according to the owners. This model sells new around here for $2245 plus sales tax, but if it qualifies for the 30% tax credit it would be around 1571 after tax rebate. I'm thinking it may be better to go new and have the warranty, but the used on is much more affordable even factoring in the tax credit. I read on here about people having to rebuild cast iron stoves after several years. How often is this done, how much does it cost, and do you have to haul it to a dealer to do it, or can they come to your house to do it. I dont want to buy used and then have to have it rebuilt soon and thus not really be saving that much money plus the hassle. Thanks for any advice.

The price doesn't seem bad for the age . . . but not super great either in my opinion.

If I were me . . . and I am me . . . I would opt to pay more and go new . . . the reasoning being that I did not know what to look for in terms of wear and tear items, indications of over-firing, etc. and I figured I would have a warranty if anything went wrong . . . for me buying new may or may not have made cents wise, but it made sence for me as it bought me peace of mind.

Thanks for your replies. We decided to buy new. The clincher was that the dealer was having a sale that ended today and knocked $250 off the price. Now just hoping it qualifies for the tax credit. Just need to get a kick butt chainsaw now and get to cuttin.

I would have done the same. I bought my Castine for about that amount but it was in pristine condition and 5 yrs old.

Good luck with your new Oslo, mine has been great. Haven't done anything to it in 10 years except for a side door gasket last year.

So now the chain saw, I love my Stilh. It always starts the same, 2 pulls, move the choke and runs next pull. All the Stihl's I've used start that way. I do take care of it, run a very sharp chain, etc. but 10 years old, and runs like new. This summer it will buck up 20 1 1/2ft diameter oaks

atomichawg said:
This model sells new around here for $2245 plus sales tax

Be sure to shop around and really negotiate before you decide. I was able to get $400 knocked off the price of a new one without too much trouble. If the tax credit ends up applying also (silence so far from Jotul on this), that makes a new one fairly close to the used one in price.

for what it is worth ?

There seems to be some interesting interpretation of what can be included in the " tax credit "

Q: Can I get a tax credit for related items (i.e. chimney parts, installation materials and labor, hearth pads, and so on) to get the maximum credit?
A: No, the tax credit only applies to the purchase price of the stove itself, and not related expenses.

Mike_C said:
for what it is worth ?

There seems to be some interesting interpretation of what can be included in the " tax credit "

Q: Can I get a tax credit for related items (i.e. chimney parts, installation materials and labor, hearth pads, and so on) to get the maximum credit?
A: No, the tax credit only applies to the purchase price of the stove itself, and not related expenses.

I don't know who provided the answer above, but it seems to conflict with what is stated here:

http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-...EuMzEyJnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0x&p;_li=&p_topview=1

Another member here pointed this out to me, as I was under the misperception also that installation and materials were not covered, only the unit itself.

MarkG

Yukiginger, Thanks for posting the energystar link.

I will be visiting the Woodstock tomorrow and should have a better understanding of what up with
this "tax credit", the quote is from there site.

It seem like their has always been some unclear info regarding the credit from early on.
With any luck conditions should improve , with ratings coming in and a better understanding of this credit by all.

I will follow up with what I learn.

MC

For $500, get the new Oslo and be done with it. You are getting a beauty that will last a long time. Why take a chance that it is beat up for a few hundred bucks?

I talked with woodstock today.

After a closer review of energystars description the labor cost and stove cost are all that can be eligible for "tax credit ".

below is text from energystars site.

The tax credit for HVAC, biomass stoves, and non-solar water heaters is 30% of the total cost (product + installation) up to $1,500. The law specifies installation costs include: "expenditures for labor costs properly allocable to the onsite preparation, assembly, or original installation of the property."

That's all for now folks.

I will be including the cost of the chimney for my pellet stove on the tax return. And be more than willing to go to tax court over it being part of both the "product" cost and the "installation" cost.

Go BrotherBart !!

Status
Not open for further replies.