Should I Cover The Cube?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"But again you are neglecting 2 factors... 1. If you are far enough ahead then you don't need it to season in one year, or even two or three for that matter. 2. if you don't have the space to spread 27 cords !!! out in single rows in your yard... "
I am not neglecting any thing, if you dont have room for a lot of wood you need to get the wood dry quickly, especially when first starting out, I would rather have one or 2 years of dry wood then 3 or more years of wood that might not be the best, if you look through many of the posts on here you will see some of the issues of the multiple rows and drying.

There is a lot of things done by many many menbers on here that I want no part of.:confused:

I think that applies to life in general. <>

Some people will NEVER have the space for 2 or 3 years worth of wood, one of my point of this whole ordeal wat the advice given on here about how long it takes to dry wood. How many time have you seen a post talking about a site that says you can season some firewood in 6 months and peole cry bull shiit. So I was trying to make a point about such advice, if you dont have the room there are things (like scotty said) to help with drying in multiple rows.
If I was doing it that way I would rather have the top covering off the wood so the air could flow over the top fo the stack better.
Note that Scotty and BWS have a lot better stack job then the OP.

Agree about the top covering, having left my main pile uncovered most of the time. I wouldn't cover until a month or so out from the burning season.

Agree about the top covering, having left my main pile uncovered most of the time. I wouldn't cover until a month or so out from the burning season.
OK my bad, what I ment to say was have the top covering raised off of the wood to allow air flow over the top of the wood, not going to be as easy as just laying it on the top though.

Note that Scotty and BWS have a lot better stack job then the OP.
Hey, I resemble that remark. Just because of no pallets on the bottom? Note the hand sized slabular splits. :)

The spaces between the splits do get greater over time as the wood dries. I noticed that on the other stack I had to tune up. I had another too-tall 3-row one that partially failed that I have to restack. Stacking on somewhat hilly and uneven land isn't great either, and I stacked it in winter with a headlamp; 'nuf said. :)

With the cube, I'm also trying to make it easier to extract 4 or 5 cords in the future while dropping in another tri-axle load of splits next to it in the next year or two.
I'm trying to do away with excessive wheel barrowing.

PS: I count 35 cords.

"Hey, I resemble that remark. Just because of no pallets on the bottom? Note the hand sized slabular splits. :)"

Glad you have a sense of humour ;) , BWS stacks are better than Scotties also, I always learn something from these types of threads and this one is no different, been doing some searching on the net and have found some interesting posts about firewood drying. Some are very down to earth and personal results with wood drying.

Status
Not open for further replies.