Should I cut through-floor vent in ceiling above woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plenzlerjm

Dec 17, 2011
Maryland
I'm renovating the 1st floor room my woodstove is in.

Has anyone out there cut a vent in the ceiling above the stove to help heat the 2nd floor above?

Any advice/thoughts much appreciated.

Only as a last resort and then only with a fusible-link damper in the register assembly. If you can blow cold air from the upstairs down toward the wood stove that may do the same job.

I did but used a fire damper and like BG said it was a last resort, I just needed another outlet to get the heat circulating on the other side of the house. Try the fan idea first like BG suggested.

I did but used a fire damper and like BG said it was a last resort, I just needed another outlet to get the heat circulating on the other side of the house. Try the fan idea first like BG suggested.
Yes, It's very important to install a fan, to get the heat circulating.

best

Can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure you can't cut a floor vent above your stove around here. It's been awhile so it would be a good idea to check with your town or city codes office.

The issue is trying to avoid the spread of fire and flames through the vent. The codes are just the way some communities deal with that. The homeowner is ultimately responsible for the safety of their dwelling, hence the insistence on a fusible-link damper, with or without codes.

Moving cold air toward the stove does the same (or even better, depending on the circumstances) job of circulating heat, as moving warm air directly away from the stove. However, it is certainly less comfortable to have that directed cold air blowing toward you, than directed warm air. The directed movement of even room temperature (70*F) air can feel cold, if you're in the direct stream.

I did this when we added a second floor above the stove, as otherwise the only path was across the 1st floor, up the stairs, and back across the second floor through three doorways. I used a damper, added smoke and CO detectors right above the vent, and in my case it's not between any bedroom and the stairs. It works great, heat rises directly into my office above and the stairwell serves as the cold air return. No fan needed here.

I did this when we added a second floor above the stove, as otherwise the only path was across the 1st floor, up the stairs, and back across the second floor through three doorways. I used a damper, added smoke and CO detectors right above the vent, and in my case it's not between any bedroom and the stairs. It works great, heat rises directly into my office above and the stairwell serves as the cold air return. No fan needed here.

Thats exactly how mine ended up working, cold air down the stairs, warm up air up the vent, nice circulation going.

Similar for me also. I had a fire vent installed between the basement and the upstairs, keeping the basement door open allows the cold air to fall into the basement while the warm air rises through the vent. Note: The vent is installed at least 10-15 feet away from the stove (stove is in corner of basement, vent is towards the center of the house). I would not recommend installing it directly above the stove, when you open the stove sometimes hot fly ash can come out, if the vent is right above the stove it could get sucked into the upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.