Should I Do It Or Should I Pass On It?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is oak. She did send me a reply overnight saying I could contact her after 4:30 pm. I tried shortly before 5 and it went to voicemail. Left her a message to call, but haven't heard from her yet. I explained to her in the reply that I wanted to meet with her and look at it before giving my decision. The rain is supposed to start up over night and get heavier thru the day tomorrow. Hopefully I can meet her sometime this weekend and make the decision.

Yeah boatboy, if you get into that beast ain't nobody here gonna believe you did it unless you post PICTURES :)

I understand the part about needing the wood, and maybe even some extra bucks if you sell some wood.

I'd just make sure she understands this size tree might take a while to get sawed, loaded, and hauled outta there.

The bottom of the trunk has a crapload of dirt/stones and stuff in it, I'd consider whether she wants you to remove ALL the tree, or if she's gonna be ok with that trunk sitting there when you leave.

God Bless Tennessee!

The easy safe way of doing it is with half a dozen splitting wedges and a sledge hammer. The alternative quicker but more dangerous way is to use a black powder splitter. Either way I would not put my chainsaw anywhere near it until it was at least split in half and I would definitely expect to be paid for removing it.

Tree definately looks hollow at the base and it is also split half way up the trunk for you . The tree is very doable and out in the open to boot. Had one just like it and it yielded a ton of wood.

324.jpg323.jpg327.jpg329.jpg331.jpg333.jpg335.jpg336.jpg I caught a break in the rain and went up there and took more pictures. I did verify it is 5' in diameter at about 4' up from the trunk. You can get an idea of the size by the pic of my wife standing in front of it. She is 5'5" tall. I was wrong on the length of the main part of the trunk. It is about 28' from the bottom to the first branch coming from the top near the moss. I didn't have a hammer with me but did take a large pair of channel locks and hit against in various places. Starting at the trunk end, it did have a more hollow thud sound when I hit in the "split" part where the bark is gone. It didn't sound completely hollow, but just different than on up. This sound changed about half way up the split area. All the rest of it sounds solid. I still haven't spoke with her any more as she was working today and I am off. I am not a tree identification wizard, but tried to take some pictures of the leaves that have about dried up so maybe someone can help me identify. I think it is oak but not sure of what kind. I am considering doing it, but not interested in cleaning up all the mess. There are many smaller limbs at the lower end as you can see in the pics that I am not interested in. There is still alot of good smaller wood out in the limbs in addition to the main trunk.

Reactions: ScotO
Holy ******!@!! The first pic looked like a good sized tree; but pic 324 puts it in perspective. just wow, thats a big log !! In for pics of the cut up!

2013-01-11 14.39.03.jpg2013-01-11 14.27.18.jpg2013-01-11 14.35.58.jpg2013-01-11 14.37.27.jpg2013-01-11 14.38.26.jpg Here are more pics. I hope someone can help identify it. 2013-01-11 14.27.18.jpg2013-01-11 14.35.58.jpg2013-01-11 14.37.27.jpg

Any news on this beast of a tree???
I told the lady it would happen when the weather warmed up a little and the ground dried out. It has rained here about every 3rd day and this tree is on a slope. If I try to back the truck in there, it would do nothing but plow her yard. When the weather was nice for a day or 2 last week, I had to work on my car. Seems that between work and the weather, I can't get a break.

I can tell just by looking at it, that the tree probably has rot in it. I'm betting a good portion of that tree is either hollow or really soft, by the looks of the rootball. By the looks of that picture, someone else has already been 'picking' the good stuff off of it, looks like a lot of the branches have been taken and that would have been the good stuff on that tree. yes, there is still good wood on that tree, but I'd venture to say the bigger part of that trunk is junk. Worth going and looking at it either way. I wouldn't be paying a single dime for that, as there is going to be a lot of waste wood if the trunk isn't any good.....

As for cutting big trees with a medium sized bar, it can be done if done properly and carefully. I would start at the top and work your way down to the rootball. When you get to the really big parts of the tree, I'd be cutting straight down through the round from the top (you standing at the log, looking at it from the cut end towards the root). Make a pass straight down through that point, as deep as you can get your bar into the tree. Then, go to either side and make a straight down cut. You'll end up with "orange slice" pieces, which you can take to your splitter and make your splits......

Let us know what you decide to do, and we like lots of pictures here, too.....
I agree. The center is either hollow or all punk .

I saw a monster like this in a field nearby me. Less than 3 miles away. Somebody already cut off all the small stuff and I am debating whether to ask permission to cut the remainder. There is a ton of wood left and it is on a flat field. Thing is, I don't need wood that bad anymore so I would only be doing it for the challenge and really don't feel like doing that anymore. I am tired of being the one that comes late to the "party" and has to remove all the big stuff. Think I am going to tell people that either I get all the wood 6"+ or I take none of it.

I guy in the city has a 5' oak that has been down now for a month in his backyard. Thing is, I am the only one in a month that has gone and dealt with the 5' sections. Others cleaned up all the small stuff and left the rest. The up side is that it seems as though nobody around here wants to deal with the big stuff. So, I can take my time getting to it. Going to look for easier scrounges though.

What type of wood is that? The bark and leaves make me think it is oak, but I don't see any sap wood on the pic of the upper branch. Still working on my tree IDs.

I told the lady it would happen when the weather warmed up a little and the ground dried out. It has rained here about every 3rd day and this tree is on a slope. If I try to back the truck in there, it would do nothing but plow her yard. When the weather was nice for a day or 2 last week, I had to work on my car. Seems that between work and the weather, I can't get a break.

Ya, well I just couldn't get this big ole tree out of my mind and I was wondering how you made out.....It looks like there's a whole bunch of solid firewood there, sure there may be some rot at the base but I can tell those limbs there are easy pickin's. When you start into it make sure to come back on here and update us :)

I'm guessing white oak too. There is still a TON of good wood on that tree. But as I stated before, probably some rot in the trunk. That pic with your wife in the tree gives some good perspective, I'd venture to say there's at least 3 to 4 cord of good firewood in that tree.....maybe more.

I want more pics when you get around to cutting it!! Wish I was closer I'd give you a hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.