Should I do the Blower trick for exhaust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
As u can see in the pictures, looks like a real hassle to open up anything behind the stove.
[lot less room than it looks to access clamps at bottom connections without pulling stove out some..
.. would sucking it all out from outside be just as good?
I have pulled the bottom cap to my short stack outside, looked up with a flashlight and see only Light colored gray ash so far,... 20 bags shy of 3 tons burned since November..
nothing black...

Attachments

• IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1838.JPG
    IMG_1838.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
You should be able to get to everything through the stove past the fan. Just be very careful or remove the ESP. Then attack the rest from outside. May not even need a blower with the simple exchanger of the Harman system.

In that tunnel where the ESP is, I have been using a thin bristle brush and instead of pushing the ash, I pull it back towards the inside and then vacuum it there since
my attatchment is to big..afraid if I just push it forward, it will all lay in the bottom of the inside 90 pipe which goes up..[pix attached]..... or am I wrong in the logic?

Attachments

• IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 82
Remove the ESP probe and also the cover plate over the exhaust blower....it sits behind the ash pan. Keep the ash pan and front doors open. If you don't, a leaf blower will spin the exhaust fan at frightening speed. I found that out the hard way. The good thing about the leaf lower trick was that after getting the stove properly deconstructed to handle it, I was able to use compressed air to clean out every nook and cranny in the thing and the leaf blower sucked it outside without a spec of dust getting inside the house.

Doesn't the bottom of your outside 90 remove?

This is the type of brush I use during my monthly cleaning Dryer brush at HD
It is flexible and goes past my 45 , The bristles are soft enough to go past the ESP and knock the dust off with out damaging it. It is also long enough to get every thing from the ground so no ladder needed

there is a removable cap on the bottom.
So you could push with a nice brush to the outside and brush up from the outside. Never having to get a ladder etc to hang a blower from the top. Just thinking of how to avoid a winter injury. We have a four foot snow bank up the side of the house now so would not be an issue:(

So you could push with a nice brush to the outside and brush up from the outside. Never having to get a ladder etc to hang a blower from the top. Just thinking of how to avoid a winter injury. We have a four foot snow bank up the side of the house now so would not be an issue:(
my pipe[from the back of the stove] comes out horizontal for 6 inches, then up for 12", then horizontal for 6" again before going out the wall..[you can see the config in pix I posted top of page.]
your saying the flex brush like the above poster showed will go that route to outside? because I have 1 from HD that has 4 ft exstentions.. total of 8 foot long.. soft bristles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.