Should I even be considering a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
farmer said:
One more question. Always heard that it is best to run the chimney on the inside of the house, but what about going up the outside? If we put the stove in the corner of the living room we could go right out the wall and up the outside between the two sets of windows. It would save a lot of inside demo, especially in the bedrooms upstairs. Worried about how unsightly the chimney will make the exterior of the house. Any thoughts?

What about using the existing chimney? Are there safety concerns? Putting a liner in it is going to be much less expensive and unsightly.

As for the heat circulation question, I think this is doable. Opening up the connection between the LR and the Kitchen would be a good start. The office and laundry room are not going to get much benefit without some sort of fan circulation with all door open, but the rest of the house looks like it will work without cooking you out of the living room when the stove is burning.

BeGreen said:
farmer said:
One more question. Always heard that it is best to run the chimney on the inside of the house, but what about going up the outside? If we put the stove in the corner of the living room we could go right out the wall and up the outside between the two sets of windows. It would save a lot of inside demo, especially in the bedrooms upstairs. Worried about how unsightly the chimney will make the exterior of the house. Any thoughts?

What about using the existing chimney? Are there safety concerns? Putting a liner in it is going to be much less expensive and unsightly.

Unless the chimney was filled, which does happen on old homes, especially farmhouses. The inspector thought that was the case with the third chimney. I lucked out.

If that was the case then I would just remove it and use the space as a chase for a class A chimney with firestops at each ceiling/floor level.

Nice house!. You already have an existing chimney in what looks to be a good place? Why not use it? What kind of chimney is it or is it just a chase?

Or you can put it up against the wall in the second location. That's what I did and I also have a hip roof. It was one of those installs that you dread starting cause you know you are gonna be working in a very tight spot. But knowing you only do it once helps with the motivation.

You are correct though in that the aesthetics of that "refinery" stack may not appeal to you. BTW, since you have to go through a second floor, your stack out the roof won't be high like mine.

Here are a couple of pics of mine...

0010.jpg

0028.jpg

0027.jpg

0019.jpg

0031.jpg

Thanks for the replies. The chimney has been removed from the chase. I put a heat run up there for the upstairs rooms. I can move that without being alot of work.Ijust want to make the right decision on stove placement. I like corner install as far as the look for the living room but the chimney sticking 8ft. out of the roof or up the side of the house can change the look of the roof. Where if i just went up the middle of the house it would only stick out 2ft which look better. But then as for as the the stove in living room probably wouldnt look as nice since the room is only 13ft. wide. Most of you have had way more experience than I have. If I am going to have it for 20 years, which would be the better choice up the old chase or the corner install and more chimney showing on the outside of the house?If it was your project what would you guys do?

Ken S said:
What is the problem with the outdoor wood boiler?

I see a few of those around and they also have a stack of wood the size of the house. Im assuming they require a lot more wood than an indoor stove. And they smolder constantly, I have at least 8 wood stoves of different sizes and flavors but i would never even consider an OWB. Now an indoor gassifier boiler oh yea!

farmer said:
Thanks for the replies. The chimney has been removed from the chase. I put a heat run up there for the upstairs rooms. I can move that without being alot of work.Ijust want to make the right decision on stove placement. I like corner install as far as the look for the living room but the chimney sticking 8ft. out of the roof or up the side of the house can change the look of the roof. Where if i just went up the middle of the house it would only stick out 2ft which look better. But then as for as the the stove in living room probably wouldnt look as nice since the room is only 13ft. wide. Most of you have had way more experience than I have. If I am going to have it for 20 years, which would be the better choice up the old chase or the corner install and more chimney showing on the outside of the house?If it was your project what would you guys do?

I think it will be ok in the living room. Our room is not much wider and the stove sticks out less than the overstuffed chair next to it. It will look ok with a stove that has close clearances like an Alderlea T5 or a Napoleon 1450. Get a big cardboard appliance box and make a mockup of the stove to play with. Leave it in position for a couple days. That makes it easier to visualize the impact and to get used to the idea.

I will have to try cardboard box idea. The next questions I have could go on a different thread but Iwill keep it here. As for as stoves go I would like least upkeep, replacement parts and easy to operate? Also I remember a couple of threads this spring about new stoves that are more efficent then the stoves that are out now. I think lopi cape cod is in my memory and also PE has one that tested 99% efficent in a lab test. Anyboby remember those threads? If so, should I just wait for one of those or will they be to big in my situation? Are those lab test very accurate? One other thing I will also look at woodstock stoves that a couple of you have mention.

I don't have the expertise that these folks do, but, the cardboard box cutout in the shape of a stove is why the Lopi Endeavor lives in our living room. You can put it ~ 4 inches from a wall and it has really tight clearances. There is not much to wear out: one gasket, firebrick, and burn tubes. It pushes heat well because it's convective and the fan helps with this. I aimed ours at the hallway and heat is moved from one corner of the house to the other. And because it's convective with most of the heat coming off the front and the top, it does seem to cook you out of the room sitting beside it.

Again, this is the only stove I really know about but I have to admit, I find the CAT stoves very intriguing. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.