Should I Fill The Oil Tank?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm just about finished moving the oil tank so I can fit in the pellet boiler. The tank is just about empty. With the wood insert, elec/hp water heater and pellet boiler (hopefully), I don't plan on using much oil.

Should I fill the tank or put in the minimum, say 100 gals. The price might go up in the future, but how will the fuel oil last in the tank, even with a biocide additive?

Shouldn't be an issue. I had a 55 gallon drum of fuel that was over 10 years old and burned without issue. Good luck on the new boiler.

I would fill it.
Better to have it and not need it vs.......well you know the rest !

If its gonna sit for a few years I would add some type of additive , the moisture in the tank does have an effect over time.

The tank, probably like all oil tanks, has a vent to atmosphere-it's not exactly hermetically sealed.

The tank, probably like all oil tanks, has a vent to atmosphere-it's not exactly hermetically sealed.
I obviously understand that........
diesel fuel has a shelf life of roughly 2 years before some form of molecular change.

Since we only use Oil for Hot water,
I get 100 gallons at a time....Got 100 Gallons in February and still 1/4 tank left.
don't really care about cost when it lasts that long....Pellet prices are our Priority now..

I obviously understand that........
diesel fuel has a shelf life of roughly 2 years before some form of molecular change.
I was thinking of the 55 gal drum.
2 years may not be that long a time for my setup, hopefully.
I'm leaning towards 100 gal.

I would always want my oil furnace on standby as a backup.

I would just go add 10 gallons find a place that sells heating oil make two trips. Some gas stations do at least around me.

I would just go add 10 gallons find a place that sells heating oil make two trips. Some gas stations do at least around me.
Heating oil is nothing more than diesel fuel without the tax.

there are subtle differences between heating oil and diesel, mainly the cloud point and sulfur content also lower lubricity.

Reactions: Bioburner
Since New York mandated the same sulfur content for heating oil as for ultra-low-sulfur diesel in 2012 the spec has been moving closer for the Northeastern states. In fact USLD is now the spec for #2 heating oil for heating oil futures contracts on the NYMEX. And it has all been coming out of the same tank all along.

" NYH is the delivery point of the Nymex futures contract and most terminals are expected to store only one commingled product (ULSD), rather than segregating two distillate products (home heating oil and ULSD)."

Status
Not open for further replies.