Should I get an insert???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vikestand

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2014
Missurah
I already have a cumberland gap woodstove which does a good job heating most of the house. This fireplace doesn't get used often(only second fire in four years). I think we are redoing this room this summer and hearth(changing to stone and nice mantle) and hanging a TV above the fireplace. My question is, do I need an insert? It's not really a need of heat? More of a drink a whiskey and watch TV in that room kind of place......

Attachments

• 15940955_10101333925889191_5202011055845254994_n.jpg
    15940955_10101333925889191_5202011055845254994_n.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 121
No, you don't need an insert in this circumstance.

I already have a cumberland gap woodstove which does a good job heating most of the house. This fireplace doesn't get used often(only second fire in four years). I think we are redoing this room this summer and hearth(changing to stone and nice mantle) and hanging a TV above the fireplace. My question is, do I need an insert? It's not really a need of heat? More of a drink a whiskey and watch TV in that room kind of place......
If the stove does a good job at heating most of the house just imagine how warm it works be with the addition of an insert. It would be an expensive upgrade if you don't really use it. I have both in my house, a stove and an insert. When it gets really cold, single digits, I have them both going and the house gets up to 70s.in my house they are on opposite ends so that helps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been toying with b an insert too. It wouldn't get used much unless it's gets real cold so it would take a long time for it to pay for itself so I haven't done it. Then I see the new BK Ashford insert and start thinking again.

I have a wood stove and a high-efficiency fireplace and I run them both when the highs are around 15 or less. It is nice to have two to heat the place and not end up with too many coals due to trying to rush the burn cycles.

Then again, it is a big investment.

If you can swing it i'd do it, think about it, cold rainy October day, not enough to fire up the big free stander, but just enough to lite a lil fire and watch football on tv while drinking home brew beer.

Reactions: cookin2night
I've been toying with b an insert too. It wouldn't get used much unless it's gets real cold so it would take a long time for it to pay for itself so I haven't done it. Then I see the new BK Ashford insert and start thinking again.
Ashford Insert?

There's a banner ad that I get near constantly advertising the release of the ashford 25 insert. Release date feb 28 this year. But if I click through to their site there's no info on it?

Reactions: Highbeam
Other than not providing much heat and losing it twice as fast once the fire burned out, I loved the ambiance of an open fire. One of my worries with my open fire place was that I couldn't burn with the doors closed. So once I got a fire going I was committed to babysit it until it went out. If your able to burn with the doors closed and there is a means to walk away or leave the house if you have to, I would stick with the open fireplace if the the stove is doing most of the heating. May even consider a gas log set. Cheaper alternative and it's on/off with the flick of a switch.

Do you have enough dry wood to feed two stoves ? If you don't that might play into it. Running two stoves/insert will mean more fire wood processing.

I love burning my insert. But I'm considering adding a bigger free standing stove in my partially finished basement. I've got a hearth and flue already but no stove in the basement.

However I don't have enough wood to run two stoves. My 3 years worth of dry wood would be cut in half. And I'd have to start splitting more wood now to stay ahead. If I could do it over again I would have started with a big basement stove and put in a gas insert in my fireplace instead. I've been told gas inserts do a great job of heating. I have natural gas though.

Last edited:
There's a banner ad that I get near constantly advertising the release of the ashford 25 insert. Release date feb 28 this year. But if I click through to their site there's no info on it?
Prolly the Sirocco 25 with a cast iron face and surround.

Here's a screenshot of the ad.

IMG_1228.PNG

Even the ng inserts are great. An insert replaced the gas log setup in a Heatalator fireplace, here. Napoleon was the maufacturer that fit the small opening.
The Radiant glass heats up outside air and exhausts the same air. The heat goes in the house, not up the flue.