should i go after this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Save your money. I wouldn't put one of those scary things in my house. Search 'boxwood'

jeff_t said:
Save your money. I wouldn't put one of those scary things in my house. Search 'boxwood'

Thanks, I wanted one for my garage... its local so figured it might be worth a shot.

Maybe for the garage, if you're careful.

You can get a new one that isn't rusty for $150 or less. I'd start at $75.

Do NOT buy this thing even for your gargage! They are dangerous stoves, if you really want an old smoke dragon there are better airtight units for marginally more money. Have you looked into whether your local codes allow for wood stoves in the garage as most don't?

certified106 said:
Have you looked into whether your local codes allow for wood stoves in the garage as most don't?

When we looked into putting one in our garage at the old house, we were told by our local inspector it was against NYS law (rather than local code). Not sure if it's true or not, but he was pretty adament against it.

Message received....thanks everybody...

Thats what I had in my basement a couple of years ago. They aren't air-tight and really let the smoke out during start-up, but I would say they'd be ok in a garage.

eclecticcottage said:
certified106 said:
Have you looked into whether your local codes allow for wood stoves in the garage as most don't?

When we looked into putting one in our garage at the old house, we were told by our local inspector it was against NYS law (rather than local code). Not sure if it's true or not, but he was pretty adament against it.
Looks like it is true, read it quickly so I might have missed something.
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/ADC/27/1/14/19/27-848.08

Status
Not open for further replies.