Should I insulate a 15ft liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Jan 2, 2015
Bedford, In
I'm replacing my wood insert with a new EPA model. The previous stove direct vented into a 13x13 tile chimney. I'm planning on running a 6" liner to the new insert (Drolet 1800i). I have two questions. Is there really any need to install insulation on the flex liner when the liner is only going to be around 14' long, and entirely inside the existing chimney in the center of the home. Second, my damper is only 6"x36". I know that is a little too small for the 6" liner. Should i even bother with trying to modify the damper, or should I just swish the liner a little a slide it through? Thanks for the help.

Yes you should cut the damper and yes you should insulate it. In fact unless you have 2" from the outside of the masonry of the chimney to and combustible materials then you need to insulate the liner in order to meet code. But regardless of code it will work allot better if it is insulated. Also if you had a slammer in there make sure you clean the entire system very well creosote left in there is a serious fire hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.