Should I insulate this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyn

May 7, 2014
California
Hello all,

I just tore down all the stone venerr that was covering my fireplace and I plan on installing some metal studs and concrete backerboard. Everything you see in the picture is original, except that metal stud running horizontally

Should I insulate this before I put in the concrete backerboards? If so, what kind of insulation can I put around the brick fireplace. Is standard fiberglass ok? There was a little fiberglass in it before. See attachement.

Thanks

dsc03390 - copy.jpg After.jpg

I can't answer whether you should or should not insulate, but I know Roxul (stone wool instead of fiberglass) is the type most often recommended.

What are you plans with the fireplace? That may help dictate the recommendations.

I see no reason to insulate it. I would however, remove that wood framing from above that fireplace. Wood framing shouldn't really be above a fireplace. While its open, I'd replace it all with steel studs.

Status
Not open for further replies.