This is my first winter ever with a wood stove. Early in the fall I got taken for a ride by the first guy I bought firewood from -- the load was very short, with a lot of junk species and MC ranging from 40-113% -- and he got away with it. I racked that stuff up for next year and bought another 3/4 cord from a different seller. That load was both dry (mostly) and generously measured, and it kept me going thorough the holidays. As it ran out, I ordered another half-cord from him and asked for high-BTU species because I expected to burn it in January and February. He delivered a generously sized half-cord, mostly oak, which seemed great until I tried to burn some of it. Smoulder, smoke sizzle... the oak is at about 45% MC (*sigh*). I emailed him about it and his reply was very apologetic and conciliatory, wanting to somehow make it right by giving me a discount on another load of better stuff, or trading the oak for another species, but I can't help feeling that the wood I got for the price I paid (half a cord of partially seasoned, mostly oak for $100) really wasn't a bad deal even if I can't use it right away. I also like the guy, and I really don't believe he was trying to pull a fast one. Asking for some sort of concession feels churlish, and I can't help wondering whether I should just turn up the gas furnace and wait until next year. How would you think about this?