should i keep wood in my empty Sunroom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John59DT

Aug 21, 2013
Central MA
hi evryone im new to wood burning, i recently built an addition on my home. thinking of ways to dry my wood alot faster. i currently have a stacked wood pile Measureing 7ft wide 6 tall by 32 long all wood is oak, Maple Birch. about 4 cords of my oak are seasoned for 12 months. but the maple and birch and oak is only seasoned for only 5 months. the pile is about 50 from the house. i have an empty sun room that measures 7FT wide 7FT tall by 24 long should i store wood in it i would keep only a cord of it inside , im guessing it would dry the wood faster because its coverd and gets lots of Sun light, i would keep a window crack open for ventilation purposes. the purpose is to cut the times going back and forth to the wood pile on colder days.

Probably fine for convenience, but to speed drying you'd probably do just as well to re-stack outside in single rows with space in-between. Drying wood in a solid block 7'x6'x32' seems like drying a wet towel by wadding it up in a ball and leaving it on the basement floor.

i forgot to add that all wood is cut to 18 to 20 inches and split i have 5 rows stacked outside. there is no wood currently inside thank you for the quick responses.

I'm not an engineer but I am thinking at some point you will have to consider the load bearing capabilities of the floor in terms of how much wood you can stack over how much square feet.

Reactions: macattack_ga
the sun room is 2 X 10 construstion i suppose i can ask my father inlaw considering he built my addition, thank you

I'm sure it's a lot just don't know how much a lot is...

Ya works for me, season outside. There is no way that oak will be ready needs 2 yrs.
looks like i will have to buy wood for the first year then dont want my chimney to fill up with soot thanks for this much needed information i always thought it had to be seasoned for one year

Be careful, wood you buy is rarely seasoned and ready to burn... regardless of what the dealer states in their ad. Might do you well to pick up a basic moisture meter from menards or harbor freight for around $12. Then you can test the wood before you buy.

Be careful, wood you buy is rarely seasoned and ready to burn... regardless of what the dealer states in their ad. Might do you well to pick up a basic moisture meter from menards or harbor freight for around $12. Then you can test the wood before you buy.
thats a good idea i shall pick one up afterwork today, i went to homedepot to find a moisture meter the cheapest was 50 dollars never thought to check harbor frieght

Maybe by mixing with busted up pallets or compressed wood blocks you might get away with the maple. As was said, unless ad states it is kiln dried, what ever you buy now is going to Green and wet inside = big mess in flue.

the sun room is 2 X 10 construstion i suppose i can ask my father inlaw considering he built my addition, thank you

that's alot of wood. no objections from your father inlaw's daughter?

Reactions: dmmoss51
Maybe by mixing with busted up pallets or compressed wood blocks you might get away with the maple. As was said, unless ad states it is kiln dried, what ever you buy now is going to Green and wet inside = big mess in flue.
i also have alot of pine roughly arouns 2 cords i use it for Bon fires that is also stacked and split under cover for about 3 years. after doing some reading on here , its possible that i can burn pine in the stove. its an catalyltic stove. i used to believed in the Pine Myth

Reactions: dmmoss51
that's alot of wood. no objections from your father inlaw's daughter?
the sunroom is 2x10 construction. this is part of the old house but the new part where the stove is 32 X 24 with loft , he didnt build the sunroom. im just stateing that ill ask him if it would be safe or not

i also have alot of pine roughly arouns 2 cords i use it for Bon fires that is also stacked and split under cover for about 3 years. after doing some reading on here , its possible that i can burn pine in the stove. its an catalyltic stove. i used to believed in the Pine Myth

I also used to be a believer. I think the only reason I still shy away from it is I have access to good hardwood and it's just a matter of BTUs. But I will take dry pine over wet oak any day!

Back to your original question, I think the wood will season (dry) better outdoors where there is more air movement. Indoors is good for storage after it's dry.

Reactions: John59DT
You could experiment since you dont have it all sorted out. Put a facecord rack in your sunroom. Put some wood outside. And any other spot you might wanna try.
The best lessons are self taught.

Reactions: John59DT
ill try a face cord to play it safe. and ill keep the othe 9.5 cords outside where it currently is i covered the top of the stack with a tarp the ends and sides are free to air. like i said in origanal post im new to wood burning so any information will help. i went with wood burning because i can get it for free, and i like gathering for fire wood its an awesome hobbie to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.