Q&A Should I line my fireplace chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am buying a Vermont Castings Encore model. It shall be installed in a fireplace on an outside wall with a 10" x 10" square tile flue. Is it OK to just run the flex pipe from the stove into this chimney or should I use a stove pipe liner all the way up the chimney? If I use a stove pipe I will probably go to the 6" reducer. Can I use galvanized 6" pipe from the hardware as this installation is only for a couple years, or must I use black stove pipe. What is the difference?

Answer:

Depending on the height and draw of the chimney, it would probably work either way. However, a full liner definitely makes it easier to clean and will draft better.

I see no reason why you could not use galvanized smokepipe if you only intended the installation to be temporary. This would not meet the codes for relining a defective chimney, but since you are relining a sound chimney it should be OK.

It will probably last from 3-6 years, depending on weather and other conditions. A Stainless Steel liner will withstand corrosion much better and should last 10-20 years or longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.