Should I notify my insurance company that I am installing a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kh395269

Mar 27, 2008
CT
Just want to see what others believe on this. I'm learning alot on here. Thanks, Kim

I notified mine, but they didn't raise my rates. They indicated that was only for wood stoves. Of course, YMMV and it only takes a minute or two to contact them and have peace of mind.

I asked my agent before I installed my stove. I also made sure it was ok for me to do the install which was also ok with my agen. I highly suggest you inform them.

Shawn

I don't know where you are from but I can tell you that in my state a pellet stove by law must be listed (UL, ASTM, etc.) In other words it has passed safety tests from a third party testing agentcey.

The bad part is it costs a lot to get that stamp and that drives the cost of the unit up.

The good thing is if your house burned down and a listed stove is the cause of the fire the insurance company will cover it if you policy does not prohibit the use of a solid fuel appliance. If it is not listed then you have broken the law and they do not have to cover the loss.

So if you have an unlisted appliance I would not call and if it burns your house down make sure they don’t find out it was unlisted.

My insurance requested a copy of our permit.
Rates did not change any tho.

My lady is an insurance agent :) I didnt call my insurance company. Although they would "prefer" them to be professionally installed....they really dont require you notify them.

Good question.
I had not thought of notifying them. However, I did cover my @ss by getting proper permits and inspections(building & fire code). It cost me about $100 and took a few weeks, but it was well worth it for peace of mind.

If they don't like you can companies

I installed two on my own. No permits, no notification of insurance companies.
Not advisable, but I understand the risks and accept them. In both cases I followed the manual precisely.
I actually work for the company that carries my home owner and auto insurance.

My agent needed two things. First, a copy of the work order with the installer's NFI license #. Secondly a copy of the inside cover of the manual of my Harman P61A. IT's basically a copy of the UL plate that's on the stove. It also lists the clearances of the stove to combustibles. No insurance rate increase at all.

it would be irresponsible not to notify them. If you think they're a PIA now, How frustrating would it be if you suffered a loss that they would have otherwise covered? Around here your premium would increase by about $35 per year. No professional would ever counsel you to skirt what's right and expose yourself to potential loss. If you are concerned that they might not insure you because of solid fuel issues you are better off knowing that now.I know there are folks that will say otherwise, and will even brag on having installed stoves and never had a problem. Well Ive been called to undo more than a few of those and re-install them correctly. Some weren't too bad, but others renewed my faith that God takes care of fools and idiots. Do the right thing and tell them. Otherwise they won't cover a loss.Shop for insurance if you have to.

J.T. Black Goose

I would want some sort of assurance that my wood stove causing (or simply being blamed) a fire would not turn my insurance into unsurance.

I wouldn't want my unreported wood stove being cause for a claim denial from a flood incident either.

The big print giveth, the fine print taketh away.

Our town requires a permit. When you are done the installation an inspector stops by to give a look over. He uses your owner’s manual for your proper installation. No big deal and he signs it off.

I also informed my insurance agent. I had to fill out a form from the insurance carrier (I even drew some small pictures on the form), and my carrier charges an additional $25 a year for having it. I am glad I informed them, so I know I am covered.

newpelletstove said:
I also informed my insurance agent. I had to fill out a form from the insurance carrier (I even drew some small pictures on the form), and my carrier charges an additional $25 a year for having it. I am glad I informed them, so I know I am covered.

This interesting, what insurance company?

TboneMan said:
newpelletstove said:

This interesting, what insurance company?

It's a smaller company called Security Mutual.

Status
Not open for further replies.