Should I pull the trigger on an NC13?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trudd

Jun 10, 2008
Rhode Island
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to purchase my first wood stove. I have 2 questions for you all.

1. It looks as though the zip code deal is still working out on getting an Englander for $650. I know everyone thinks this is a steal in regards to the nc30. Do you think this is a good deal for the nc13 as well? I'd love to just get the nc30 but I just can't make it work space wise. Even if I could I'm pretty sure it would cook me out of my house.

2. The house I'm looking to heat is 1500sqft. The room it will go in is 13' x 26' with cathedral ceilings. It's our living room. Loft/master bedroom upstairs, accessed from living from. 2 other bedrooms on opposite side of house from the stove room. Is this stove even worth it for me? It's a little smaller than what I'd want. Ideally 2-2.5 cuft firebox so I could get longer burns. I just can't afford 1500-2000 for a jotul, woodstock, etc right now. I also have to install a chimney since this is the first stove for this house. So, I'm thinking NC13 and maybe upgrading in something a little larger in a few years. Assuming you think the stove is worth $650. I added attic insulation so I'm up to code.

On a side note, I had a pellet stove that did heat the whole house before it went on the fritz. So, I think it'll heat the house but, do you think I'll be getting really short burn times? Thanks for you opinions. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

I've got my NC-13 in my garage now, sitting on the shipping pallet. I'm in the process of building my hearth. Be forewarned.........the NC-13 requires a hearth with an R value of 2. That's a lot more than most, but I've read nothing but stellar reviews of this stove here. That's why I got it. I got mine thru Overstockstoves.

I didn't think I'd like the looks of it when compared with the Jotuls etc. But, all in all, it's a fine looking stove..........just not cast iron.

The 13 is an excellent heater. We can run it (it's installed on a lower level, and is used primarily to heat my daughters 550 sf accessory apartment in the house. But it can heat the whole house (2000 sf) when it's 35 - 40 F outside with little wind. It does how ever, have a max burn time of 4-6 hours with really seasoned firewood.

What kind of burn times are you looking for?

I've got my NC-13 in my garage now, sitting on the shipping pallet. I'm in the process of building my hearth. Be forewarned.........the NC-13 requires a hearth with an R value of 2. That's a lot more than most, but I've read nothing but stellar reviews of this stove here. That's why I got it. I got mine thru Overstockstoves.

I didn't think I'd like the looks of it when compared with the Jotuls etc. But, all in all, it's a fine looking stove..........just not cast iron.

Thanks for the info. dorkweed. Just so where clear, I'm not insulting you.:) That's a funny name. I did read that about the R value needing to be at least 2. I figured I'd build my own. Did you build your own pad. What did you use?

The 13 is an excellent heater. We can run it (it's installed on a lower level, and is used primarily to heat my daughters 550 sf accessory apartment in the house. But it can heat the whole house (2000 sf) when it's 35 - 40 F outside with little wind. It does how ever, have a max burn time of 4-6 hours with really seasoned firewood.

What kind of burn times are you looking for?

Thanks for the info Dixie. Good to know it can heat a large area. As far as burn times, the longer the better. I'd like to be able to load it up at night, around 9pm, and have enough hot coals in the morning to get it re-fired. I realize that's probably asking a lot of this stove. Even if I'm only able to supplement my oil heat at this point I think it's worth it. Right? Then in a few years upgrade to something a little bigger if needed. Like I said in my first post, I had a pellet stove that ran well for about 3 months and I def saved a lot of money that winter.

It should cut down on your oil use a lot, and you've still got the existing system for back-up, very cold nights, you go away for a while or whatever. Makes the choice of the perfect stove less critical, and if you decide to upgrade later, you'll be doing so with more knowledge of what you like and don't like.

So concentrate on getting wood in advance so it can be dry when you need it.

The 13NC is a good value and a nice medium-sized heater. The caveat is that it needs good clearances and has stiff hearth requirements. There are other good stoves with longer burn times that have lesser hearth requirements for a little more money. Lopi 1750, True North TN19, Napoleon 1450 are a few. Also, the Pacific Energy Super 27 line is known for good long burn times with just ember protection needed on the hearth.

For the hearth pad I would try to find some Micore. That's what we used for mine even though mine (the TVL17) has super low R requirements. We paid about 30 bucks for two 4x8' sheets, cut them in half and used two layers on the floor and two layers on the wall. It's a layer of cement board, then Micore, cement board, Micore, cement board, then regular tile on top of that. It is real easy to work with, just score and snap (wear something over your nose and mouth, the dust is bad for you).

~Rose

Thanks for the additional info everyone. I see what I can find for prices on those other stoves. So far I've only been able to find a price on the Napoleon of $1169. I'm going to do a layout in the meantime of the englander with all clearances taken into consideration.

Thanks for the additional info everyone. I see what I can find for prices on those other stoves. So far I've only been able to find a price on the Napoleon of $1169. I'm going to do a layout in the meantime of the englander with all clearances taken into consideration.
Like the others have said, you're going to do well either way. I think with the 13 you'll have similar if not better results than Dixie (depending on layout and stove location). And for $650 its hard to do better. Only bit of advice I would give is you won't necessarily heat yourself out of your house with a larger stove. You get the amount of heat out of a stove based on the amou t of wood you put in it. So if you have a larger firebox you don't have to pack it full of wood. As I said either way you're going to do great.

Also if that napoleon you're looking at is the 1100 that's a very similar firebox size to the 13. For the price the 13 is the way to go. Check www.dynamitebuys.com
When I was looking they had the best prices I could find on Napoleons and Osburns. Good luck!

Also if that napoleon you're looking at is the 1100 that's a very similar firebox size to the 13. For the price the 13 is the way to go. Check www.dynamitebuys.com
When I was looking they had the best prices I could find on Napoleons and Osburns. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll check that site out. The price I found was for the Nap 1450

Status
Not open for further replies.