Should i pull the trigger?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldflame

Feb 9, 2014
Gainesvell MO
I'm a bit new to this whole pellet stove thing. But my parent have owned them for years and absolutely love them, so its always been in back of my mind. But the initial investment has always scared me off. However this years propane prices (our only source of heat now) has made me take a fresh look.

I would hope to accomplish two things. (1) Keep the thermostat up a bit higher as my wife suffers from arthritis and low temps are literally a pain for her. And (2) Save money! perhaps even at some point recuperate my investment.

So my Question: In your experience is the price of pellets in any way tied to price of traditional fuels like propane? Now I do realize both fuels will increase in price like everything else. But I guess I'm asking if you feel that in the future wood pellet fuel will always be more economical or do they tend to rise at the same rate as other fuels?

I'm grateful for any advise

More economical for sure but as a general rule the cheaper it is you pay more on labor. For pellet stoves it's not set it n forget it. There's moving storing pellets and various cleaning which is required. Cord wood is cheaper yet but requires much more labor.

If the propain issue is not resolved and it stays above $3, pellets will look pretty good BUT the demand will probably increase pellet price as Europe sucks up supply too. The oil boom in ND is partly to blame as the pipe that brought up propane is now flowing crude south to refineries. Check into getting your home better insulated and then look at alternative fuels. Insulation has one of the fastest paybacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.