Should I Rebuild my Jotul??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotulburner

Sep 9, 2010
maine
This forum has been a great source of information and I have started to get educated about proper burrning in wood stove, but you know what they say about a little knowledge being dangerous so I thought I would ask a few more Question of the knowledgable folks here.
I bought a house that had an older jotul in it and I burnned all last year seemed ok. I took it out this year and installed new hearth. Gave the stove a good cleeaning in the garage getting ready to reinstall it on the new hearth. Taking a look at my old Jotul 3 td ic-2 it looks like the top baffle is warped and the back burn plate is warped. The rest of the stove looks good. Never having seen one with out warping it is hard to tell how bad mine really is.
I have been told about Rebuilds? If I have this warping problem with top baffle and back burn plate should I be considering a complete rebuild? Cost?
If it doesnt need total Rebuild is replacing Baffle and burn plate something I can do Myself or should I take it to Pro. it doesnt look that complicated.)
Is a 20 year old Jotul worth messing with or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new stove?
I used it all winter last year with the baffle warpped if I decide to could I just keep burning in it or is that dangerous?
Thanks for all your help Folks. What a great resource this is.

Attachments

• jotul4.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 411
  • jotul6.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 351
  • jotul5.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 321
  • jotul7.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 313
  • jotul8.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 323
A couple more pictures close up on back plate I can actually pull it forward it does not sit flush on back wall stove.

Attachments

• jotul9.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 315
  • jotul10.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 312
  • jotul11.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 351
Tough call. If the parts are still available (you are close to Jotul USA) and reasonable, say under $400, I would be tempted to rebuild it. The basic shell looks good and if that is all it takes, when you are done it should be good for many more years. PM Summit. He may have done a rebuild on this model and can advice on parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.