should i replace my cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Hey guys going on the 3rd year with the cat. it all looks good but last year i was cleaning and like an idiot it was stil a little warm and i brushed it with a paint brush and then i hit it with a vaccum and i hit the cat with the end of my vaccum to hard and knocked this piece off. i mean it still works but just wondering if i should get another one on hand to have in case i need to swap it out if it gets worse. Any of your guy's cats look like this?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 338
I always like to have a spare of everything and it might not be a bad idea - but were I you, I'd burn it and see how it goes, then swap in the new one if needed.

Good luck,
Bill

Yeah think that would be a good idea. It would suck be without one. Does n e one know if they make a steel cat yet for the princess

I'm not sure if they do. I was actually going to inquire about that with my rep. I had some inserts come through last year with steel cats in them so I wanted to try one out in our stove.

cmonSTART said:
I'm not sure if they do. I was actually going to inquire about that with my rep.

I'm going to pick up a spare as well and would be interested to hear what the rep says. The banter I heard was that they abandoned them and went back to ceramic?

SolarAndWood said:
cmonSTART said:
I'm not sure if they do. I was actually going to inquire about that with my rep.

I'm going to pick up a spare as well and would be interested to hear what the rep says. The banter I heard was that they abandoned them and went back to ceramic?
that's what I've heard as well. Wondering what the scoop is.

i def would like to get one. but i dont know with all the mixed opinons. anybody running one in a princess yet?

Bobby, your cat still may work okay but not at 100%. If you can't see the cat while burning, then the next time you have a fire, go outdoors after the stove gets hot enough for the cat to light off. If you are getting smoke, the cat needs to be replaced. If no smoke, no worries. We are planning on putting in a steel cat just as soon as we get back from Woodstock. So far most of what I've heard has been positive on the steel ones.

ecocavalier02 said:
i def would like to get one. but i dont know with all the mixed opinons. anybody running one in a princess yet?

I was hoping you'd get one and let us know how it works :p

My cat looks like yours and it was working ok, lit off and no smoke but it wouldnt hurt to have one on hand, I'm going to do a little more research before I get a new one, still undecided.

weatherguy said:
ecocavalier02 said:

My cat looks like yours and it was working ok, lit off and no smoke but it wouldnt hurt to have one on hand, I'm going to do a little more research before I get a new one, still undecided.
No i think you should get one first. haha. someone will eventually. i dont think im going to be the first.

ecocavalier02 said:
weatherguy said:
ecocavalier02 said:

No i think you should get one first. haha. someone will eventually. i dont think im going to be the first.

Eco, did they have your cat listed on that website I posted earlier? They didnt have mine last year, it looks like they have more to choose from this year.

Bogydave went to the steel cat but don't remember how it worked out? Couldn't find anything other than his first burn which was good.

yeah i know last year they didnt have the steel ones but now they do have them.. what would be so different with the steel? anything different that you need to look out for when burning with a steel cat?

That is the princess cat on that site right? whys the princess cat 300 bucks and all the other ones are cheaper.

ecocavalier02 said:
That is the princess cat on that site right? whys the princess cat 300 bucks and all the other ones are cheaper.

I think because its bigger, I dont think they had a Princess cat last year

Ahhh. So the princess cat cost more than the king?

Status
Not open for further replies.