Should I Retire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy! I have to laugh at this thread because my parents were up last week and my mom said that she's trying to get my dad to "retire." He retired from UPS five years ago after 25 years humping boxes and driving a truck, but after that he kicked his side business of repairing, buying, and selling OPE into high gear and now he's busier than when he was punching a clock five days a week ;lol The thing is he loves his "job" now so it doesn't really feel like work anymore.

Pretty much what I did at 52. Eight years later I said to hell with it and shut it down. I was working harder working for myself than I ever had in my life. A momentum thing. I realized I had worked for jerks my whole life, and still was.

YES! I work with a few guys who are in their late 60s and still dragging their butts to work every day. And they could retire if they wanted to but work is their life. Get a hobby get out and do what you want. Live to the fullest we only get to go around once.

I have an 86 year old aunt who worked up until three years ago; she liked what she did. I on the other hand am eligible to retire in 6 years, and cannot wait. I have a list of things to do to keep me out of trouble, and a pile of books that I can't get to on my current schedule.
If you CAN work, and that is what you love, it's wonderful if you aren't pushed out the door. I on the other hand am only hoping that my body and brain don't turn to oatmeal before I have a chance to retire.

Congrats.

Awesome......so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Everyday, I remind myself, "one more day closer to retirement".....and like firebroad, "hoping that my body and brain don't turn to oatmeal before I have a chance to retire.".....I think the Brain will be fine....however, the body maybe not.....10 years left, and starting to fall apart already

.I think the Brain will be fine....however, the body maybe not.....10 years left, and starting to fall apart already
I started falling apart in my 40s
It just accelerates after that.

I'm thinking about it more and more.

Today was last day. Weird leaving the place after 30 years.

Congrats on not having to think about it anymore. Between Jan 15 (your OP) and now - that's the blink of an eye. Our time on this rock is short. Enjoy your new found freedom and don't look back.

Congratulations. I hear you man. I stepped off April 1. It will feel odd for awhile. Decades long habits are hard to break

I hope to test that theory in a few years myself :cool:. Congrats as well.

FWIW, I saw this a few weeks ago - I thought it was pretty inspiring. The secret to a long life? Simple - "do what you want to...".

http://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000002796999/slomo.html

Gee, thanks for the ecouragement...:confused:
Keep yourself in good shape and hopefully the decline will be slower. I just moved 2 cords of rounds yesterday. And will commence splitting as soon as all the garden beds are prepped and ready. Can be done at 65 if you take your time and respect your back.

My father-in-law retired at 70 after years of twelve hour days. The next week his mother-in-law came to live with him and his wife. Killed his retirement plans.

congrats velvet on your retirement, life is short and unexpected things happen. You have to live each day to the max.
I am currently selling off everything I own and will be relocating to St Croix for retirement. I am 52 and plan on having fun the rest of my life, even if it is short. Wife thought we should wait 5 years, heck 5 years I might not be here. I have "crossed over" twice in my life, third time "he" might decide to keep me, I might not get to come back.

My SIL is on of those persons that always has her ducks in a row and for years she would tell all of us that she could retire anytime she wanted. She was in her 50's at the time, and I encouraged her. Go now before it's to late-you never know what'll happen. She never retired early, just waited until her 60's and then retired. And then took care of her Mom and Dad who began to suffer from dementia. (She couldn't accept the fact that it happened to them/her) Then she had her first hip replacement. Instead of traveling like the two of them had discussed they both sit at home.........
If you can swing it, retire early as you will never get that time/chance again! Worst case, you could always go back to work in your 50's. It seems that after they retire, many go back to work in their 60's and are still working in their 70's!

Velvetfoot and Bewgreen, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
My father-in-law retired at 70 after years of twelve hour days. The next week his mother-in-law came to live with him and his wife. Killed his retirement plans.
Poor feller:(

Status
Not open for further replies.