Should I scoop that cord of arbutus?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Out here on the west coast ,we mostly only have access to softwoods. Ranging from 160-175 a cord,split and delivered. And normally a hardwood like arbutus runs 350-375 a cord. Well, just came back from the mall, and on a bulletin board was advertised arbutus 250 a cord.

Usually, I get a max burn of 4 hours with the softwood. Earlier this year I used some birch that I had been hoarding, and got a 5 hr burn. Now that I have had my insert door all renewed,I am wondering if I might get 7hrs with that nice hardwood (arbutus)?

Doing the math, which I am terrible at, it looks like a steal. I already know that BB is going to say just stick with the junk for that junky insert :lol: However, I am hoping that my neighbour across the line (BeGreen) might give me his opinion before I make the call to purchase. Going to buy my last cord for the next 2 seasons anyway come March 1. I just can`t decide cause I have a commitment from a previous supplier for a cord of seasoned fir for 160.

I might just buy both, but would appreciate some opinions on that sweet hardwood that is so hard to come by here on the island.

Sounds to me like about 30 % off per cord... good deal!
Wood is not a want, it's a need.

I've burned a bit of arbutus this year, and it definitely burns longer than the other woods we have around here. I guess, just like other hardwoods, even when it's really dry it's much heavier than softwood but at more than 50% higher than your current supply, I'm not sure I'd go for it.

having that stash of longer burning wood is worth more in peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.