Should I seal my 2 part flex tee during liner install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I am assembling my flex liner components and wondering if I should seal the small gaps in this 2-part tee? The snout uses a clamping band to secure it to the main body, yet some small gaps remain where they get pulled together. Does it make sense to use a little furnace cement in these areas?

Similarly, a cap attaches to the bottom with 4 screws. I see gaps there too.

97398.jpg

It cant hurt to seal it i would guess the cement will probably fall out of the tee snout area but go ahead

i take it you got it in without falling off the roof lol

Havent done the liner install yet. I had to do a little metal fab on some of the components to make it all fit. Also learned I have a small offset, maybe 3 or 4 inches, at the bottom of the chimney. Surprising but think I'll get past it if I trim some of the outer insulation off the last 18 inches where it enters the firebox. So far so good with last minute checks and fitting together the pieces. At least nothing a 4 1/2 angle grinder and cutting wheel couldn't fix :)

Havent done the liner install yet. I had to do a little metal fab on some of the components to make it all fit. Also learned I have a small offset, maybe 3 or 4 inches, at the bottom of the chimney. Surprising but think I'll get past it if I trim some of the outer insulation off the last 18 inches where it enters the firebox. So far so good with last minute checks and fitting together the pieces. At least nothing a 4 1/2 angle grinder and cutting wheel couldn't fix :)

Rope and Silverado will pull anything down that chimney. ::-)

Call me crazy but I'm about to try dropping the liner with my girlfriend as my helper. I know better than this but feeling optimistic today.

Status
Not open for further replies.