Should I seal this gap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regency139

Jun 25, 2009
Connecticut
Hey everyone, longtime lurker and newer member of the forum. Quick question regarding the top of my chimney. I had a liner and cap installed last year for my wood burning insert. I noticed while doing some minor repair work to the chimney that there is a small gap around the bottom plate of the cap. My question is whether or not I should seal the gap up or if I should just leave it alone. I have been sealing some hairline cracks in the chimney block and I have some extra mortar to play with.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• chimneypic.jpg
    chimneypic.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 313
I'd remove the cap & refinish the entire "mud cap" or chimney crown, then re-install the cap.
That way you couild make sure there is no way for rain or snow to get in next to the flue tiles - if there ARE any...
Water getting in between the flue tiles & main body of the chimney can freeze & expand & lead to more cracks & leakage problems...

You'd have to break the seal every time you take off the cap to clean/inspect.

LLigetfa said:
You'd have to break the seal every time you take off the cap to clean/inspect.

It looks like one of those that you take two screws out and it opens on a hinge.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The cap is actually on a hinge and the base plate doesnt need to be removed. I was just curious what others thought. Removing the plate, making the crown flush, then reinstalling it sounds like a good option. Thanks again

Regency139 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. The cap is actually on a hinge and the base plate doesnt need to be removed. I was just curious what others thought. Removing the plate, making the crown flush, then reinstalling it sounds like a good option. Thanks again

Shooting a bead of plain old silicone caulk around the base will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.