Should I stop burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Girl

Dec 18, 2007
Mass
I check the access door occasionally. Not much there.
Anyway, tonight I checked and noticed a few glazed hard pieces.
I don't have a mirror rig to lookup the chimney.
I am down to my craptaculor wood which is not as seasoned as I would like.
I did battle smoky smoldering start ups for about 2 weeks which I had to baby due to the quality of the wood to get it where I wanted.
I am doing very small hot fires when I get home at night only.
This season I have been burning clean no smoke except for start & load & those 2 weeks which were pretty bad.
Could 2 weeks make that huge of a difference? Could it be from the rain we've been having here? We have had a ton.
Yes I have a chimney cap.
I am deathly afraid of heights, roof climbing not happening.

Try some Rutland creasote remover in a nice hot fire. It worked for me when I knew the wood was not truly dry. $10 or less at Rockies or HD.

I thought the remover stuff didn't really work & wouldn't it be a little too late?
I know I am a big baby about heights.
Thanks!

Get some creaway. It works good. It doesn't remove the 3rd degree it modifies (dries it out) so that it is easily brushed. You're right, no chemical replaces a chimney cleaning but modifying that 3rd degree will lessen your likelyhood of immediate chimney fire.

It worked well on the bottom 2/3rds of my chimney. The hottest part of course. Others on the forum seemed to have no luck using it. To me it was worth a try. Yes all of our rain, cooler temps and low pressure didn't help but the secret, as you know is burn hot dry wood. It also makes it difficult because the temps are rising making early morning and evening burns the norm.

Well, I do burn hot and clean and like my father before me I do use that cresote remover,couple of tablespoons every 2 weeks. Haven`t been able to find the "red devil" brand anymore, so now just use tsp. It is not a substitute for a regular chimney clean but it does turn that gunk to nice powder,specially when you fuel is doubtful (maybe not fully seasoned).

A little late to start with the program this season , but next season try it.

Thanks guys~

I could be overreacting (which I am very good at), & it could of come down from the top which is were I would expect this would & could accumulate, especially with the weather we have been having.

Think I will pickup a couple bundles of kiln dried along with some of the remover or should I say "softner?"

:)

sonnyinbc said:
Well, I do burn hot and clean and like my father before me I do use that cresote remover,couple of tablespoons every 2 weeks. Haven`t been able to find the "red devil" brand anymore, so now just use tsp. It is not a substitute for a regular chimney clean but it does turn that gunk to nice powder,specially when you fuel is doubtful (maybe not fully seasoned).

A little late to start with the program this season , but next season try it.

TSp eh? Is this safe to use with a cat stove? If it is I will buy some at the hardware store..

Ray

Figured I would give an update & make this as short as possible for you.
I called my chimney people & told them what I had found & I understood they could not give a diagnosis with out seeing things.
I am broke and literally can not afford to have them come take a peek (feel like a looser)
They checked my chimney history and my history was good just the one time I needed the big clean.
Since my history showed positive & I was on top of things, they said keep doing the small hot fires & use a sure-shot, season is almost over & they where impressed with how on top of things I was (thank folks!).
It was agreed that it could of come from the top too.
I was told that a lot of people around here are having problems due to the rain we have been having & even covered wood has turned into bad wood, the rain has been that mean.
Anyway in summary, the kids will be at their dads on Friday, I got some kiln dried wood, a creo-log (no sure-shots but I can't get to the stove store till Saturday) & I will do my thing Friday night, they won't be here & I can give my chimney my undivided attention.
Luckily my tax return is on its way!
My kids are the best they are not complaining, they just bundled up in fleece & hanging out like it is just any other evening.
But, I am cold :(

Sounds like the weather for New England should be decent for the coming week. Don't forget the basics. Shut doors to any rooms that don't need heat. Watch any air leaks, one of the biggest problems. Stuff the leaks with anything you have that seems to work. Close curtains at night and extra blankets in bed or while watching tv works well. And yes just dress up, no Pjs all morning while the kids scream they're cold. This will make a good wood fire seem even better.

Girl said:
Figured I would give an update & make this as short as possible for you.
I called my chimney people & told them what I had found & I understood they could not give a diagnosis with out seeing things.
I am broke and literally can not afford to have them come take a peek (feel like a looser)
They checked my chimney history and my history was good just the one time I needed the big clean.
Since my history showed positive & I was on top of things, they said keep doing the small hot fires & use a sure-shot, season is almost over & they where impressed with how on top of things I was (thank folks!).
It was agreed that it could of come from the top too.
I was told that a lot of people around here are having problems due to the rain we have been having & even covered wood has turned into bad wood, the rain has been that mean.
Anyway in summary, the kids will be at their dads on Friday, I got some kiln dried wood, a creo-log (no sure-shots but I can't get to the stove store till Saturday) & I will do my thing Friday night, they won't be here & I can give my chimney my undivided attention.
Luckily my tax return is on its way!
My kids are the best they are not complaining, they just bundled up in fleece & hanging out like it is just any other evening.
But, I am cold :(

Hello fellow Mass. woodburner! Where in Mass. are you?

Ray

colebrookman said:
Sounds like the weather for New England should be decent for the coming week. Don't forget the basics. Shut doors to any rooms that don't need heat. Watch any air leaks, one of the biggest problems. Stuff the leaks with anything you have that seems to work. Close curtains at night and extra blankets in bed or while watching tv works well. And yes just dress up, no Pjs all morning while the kids scream they're cold. This will make a good wood fire seem even better.

Haha I am the one bitching not them, lol
I am not as hard core as I used to be!

Thanks, think we all need reminders of those helpful tips at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.