Should I take this scrounge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schlot

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2011
Iowa
I heard about some trees that are available to be scrounged.

I think they are popular trees, anyone see differently?

I'm not wood poor now, but hate passing up a scrounge that has good access and half the work is done, so what do you guys think. Is it worth it?

Attachments

• scrounge.jpg
    scrounge.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 197
Sure looks like poppy. My rule of thumb is: Its down and I can pull up next to it, I will take it.

poplar is just okay firewood, good firepit wood. Burns up fast. I don't go out of my way to get it..

TAKE IT...ITS FREE AND IT WILL BURN

Reactions: NYLife
Nice shoulder season wood, I guess it would depend on how far the scrounge is. I went 37 miles for Oak (74 miles total) I would never do that for Poplar.

zap

I had a large poplar given to me last March. I split and stacked it just as soon as I got it. About mid September I took the moisture meter and checked 12 splits from different parts of the stack. The highest reading I got was 17.3%. I've burned it 3 times this month and it was just what everyone has said ...Okay, burned fairly quickly but made more than enough heat to knock off the morning chill. It did make a good bit of ash however.

If it was close and free I would most likely take more if there wasn't something better available.:cool:

Good info guys, thanks. I am burning cottonwood as shoulder wood now. I think popular gives off more BTU and doesn't smell like cottonwood. Maybe I will bring some home as shoulder material for 13/14.It's only 6 miles away so it's a nice short haul.

Reactions: zap
Looks so easy Id grab enough for shoulder season next year.

poplar is just okay firewood, good firepit wood. Burns up fast. I don't go out of my way to get it..

Not sure where you are located in Wisconsin, but I had plans to head up to Hayward tonight for a long weekend. Unfortunately the trip got canceled. Love that area of Wisconsin.

Looks so easy Id grab enough for shoulder season next year.

Yeah, the fact that they are already down and I can drive right up to them makes it hard to pass up.

and remember Shlot............you can mix this with other wood to give things a little head start

Good idea.

Gopher wood. Lots of us have burned some. I don't like it but have burned it at times. Most times I won't bother with it.

Close + free = good shoulder season wood . . . just don't count on this for your overnight fires.

i hate the smell of poplar but if i was 'wood poor' i would defintely grab it, split it and stack it.

It's close, it's down, it's easy to get to. I'd grab it. It looks like it should cover a decent amount of your shoulder season wood for next year.

Also, sometimes even in the dead of winter you need a quick short burn, i.e. you get home from work and you want to get a good fire going but you also want to make sure you can load the stove up for an overnight burn in a few hours. A few splits of poplar/pine and ur in business for that quick burn.

I always seem to want more short burning wood in the winter. Every year I cut more and more shoulder season wood, maybe one of these years I will get the right amount :)

The downed trees look like an easy size to work with which might play into the amount of work on your end to process the wood. Being that you can drive right up to it seems like a no brainer to me. I burned some poplar last year and it was very easy to get the fires started as well as a good choice for the shoulder season, this wood should be ready by this time next year. If you have the room, grab it, free BTU's.

Making plans to grab it tomorrow afternoon. Getting a nice soaking rain (we need it bad) today, but tomorrow should be nice. If it's too soggy I may take it Sunday, Saturday is out as it's my wife's birthday....hmmmm, on second thought I wonder if I could work in cutting some wood into a birthday picnic some how?

Nothing like free wood . especially is its close. Firewood meens heat so i'd grab it Just use it for shoulder wood .

Yes, it is poplar. I think I'd take it if I could pull the trailer up to the trees. Easy firewood is hard to pass up.

Looks like fun cutting. Easy access. Good exercise.
If you have room, take it.
Beats sitting around, thinking about cutting fire wood LOL :)

Reactions: Gasifier
Yup. That close. Take it.

Yes.

I would get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.