Should I take this tree down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I just want to get some opinions from fellow members.
I will post pictures from my phone after this post to illustrate the situation.

I have one huge poplar tree on my property. it's beautiful, but I think it is getting too big. Knowing that poplar is fast growing tree and prone to fall makes me thinking. I put 8 ' stepladder next to the tree for reference in a picture. If its going to fall now, it's not goanna reach pool or pond nearby, but give it 6 more feet and its going to hit it. The shed is right next to it. I have a crew that will shred some brush coming next week, should I take this tree down and make them clean it while they are at the site? It's going to cost much more getting them just for that tree in a future.

Here is the pics
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Reactions: Fred Wright
If you're concerned about it becoming more dangerous, I'd say you answered your own question. I'd take it down but that's just me

Reactions: heavy hammer
If you're concerned about it becoming more dangerous, I'd say you answered your own question. I'd take it down but that's just me
I know I'm kinda answering my own question. It's just that I got another 5 beautiful beech trees to process ( you can see it in a second picture). And now all this work for a poplar. Wish it was oak.
I guess I'm looking for push from someone saying : You've got to do it.;)

Is it true that poplar is more prone to fall, Or is it just a rumor?

Reactions: D8Chumley
I'd like to know, I have several bigger poplar around my house also. But then again my house is surrounded with trees of varying types

My power line comes up through the woods to a pole then over to the house. There's a 40+' cherry in particular growing up and over the lines and leaning towards it, within 5' of the power actually. That one worries me when I look at it, so I don't look at it. It's not actually on my property so if it goes down and rips the lines off of the transformer next to the house would I be on the hook for it, or someone else? The state owns that property

From the picture it looks too far away to hit the pool anytime soon.

As for the shed doesn't matter. It's an easy drop and someone would really have to screw up not to put it down so that it avoids the shed.

Personally if you want the wood now its an easy drop.

The tree itself looks healthy, I've got a few poplars about that size and mine seem fine . Are they signs of rot and decay around the tree trunk ? Are there mushrooms growing around it ? If it's solid the tree should be fine.

Are you dropping it yourself ? I'd shoot a string line up to that first leader off the right with a slingshot and bean bag. Id tie my rope onto the string pull it through so I can run a running bowline knot up to the crotch. Id use my 4way pully and a couple neighbors on the rope and just put the tree on the ground. 15 minutes or less. Perhaps you don't need a rope even. Looks like you probably don't in the photo

If you want the firewood do it now. Or you can let it wait for a long time if you want. I don't see any red flags in that picture at all that says you need to drop that tree anytime soon. Unless you want it on the ground

I'd keep that tree. It is a beauty. Tulip Poplar can get really tall and I don't think they are more prone to blowing down than most other trees. The soil is the biggest factor in whether trees will be toppled by wind. Are there a lot of other wind thrown trees in the area? Trees that toppled and pulled a root ball of soil out of the ground? If not I wouldn't worry at all, and in any case I don't see much that the tree could hit besides a shed. Yes, it would be a drag to have it hit the shed but that seems like a long shot.

(Tulip) poplars are generally the biggest trees in these parts. That pretty much contradicts your short standing fears. But then again there has never been a tree that has stood forever.

Reactions: D8Chumley
The bigger the canopy, the more surface area for the wind to hit.....that would be really the only reason (and soil) I could think of why it would be more prone to blow over. That tree really stands out and above the rest. I'm taking down much smaller ones (8-12" dia) on the back wooded part of my property, only because there are so many of them, choking out the oaks and smaller ash trees.....probably cut 30 already with 20 more to go. I do notice firewood from the bigger trees is better than the smaller ones. I wouldn't mess with it.

They are one of my most common trees and I can't say that I have ever seen a healthy one fall over. Even the dead ones start dropping from the top first. I would not cut that tree.

Shame to take down a big tree like that if it's healthy. If anything I might consider some pruning to lessen the amount of wind it catches and to keep it looking good.

I know I'm kinda answering my own question. It's just that I got another 5 beautiful beech trees to process ( you can see it in a second picture). And now all this work for a poplar. Wish it was oak.
I guess I'm looking for push from someone saying : You've got to do it.;)

PUSH...PUSH...PUSH..............is that enough PUSH.

bob

Around here Tulip Poplar is especially common in steep valleys. Also common on steep hillsides are unstable soils, so there are places where giant Tulip Poplars and trees of other varieties fall. The Tulip Poplars are frequently the largest trees, so they are the most obvious, but they aren't any more prone to falling than other trees as far as I can tell. Oaks, maples, hickories, and all other types of trees fall too.

I would probably leave it until it gets worse or you just can't stand the site of it anymore. If it's not going to hit the house I wouldn't worry that much, but that's just me. Could always have a tree guy take it down and remove all the wood if you don't really want it, seems like a waste but just another thought.

Cut it down before it rots from the top down. Poplar that is over 15'' thick is usually on borrowed time up here. 40-50 years is the upper limit for their lifetime here.

I have Tulip pops on the place from six inches to thirty-inches DBH and up to a 125' high and in 31 years not one has ever blown over. Big Oaks yes but not one pop. The tops blow out of the six or so inch ones and lightning seems to love them but blow over, never happened.

One is right in front of the house and could cut it in half.

With one exception (a real leaner) I've never had a tree blow over that wasn't already standing dead, but then again I have a pretty thick forest around me so the trees shield each other. I count rings when I buck a tree and have noticed that the tulip poplars tend to be about 75 years old when they keel over while the oaks and hickories tend to be more like 100. The poplars grow faster, though, so the trunks end up being about the same size.

Cut it down before it rots from the top down. Poplar that is over 15'' thick is usually on borrowed time up here. 40-50 years is the upper limit for their lifetime here.

This tree is Tulip Poplar, not related to aspens or popples, as they are called, except that the names are similar. Tulip Poplar doesn't grow in Maine.

Personally I'd suggest leaving it stand unless it's showing signs of imminent demise.

Forest poplars, which yours appears to be aren't prone to blowing over any more than most other tree species. What kills 'em is base or root damage, often from excavations or logging equipment used near the tree.

That was the case at a small development I lived in years ago. The builder had cleared what was once a thick forest but left several tall poplars to stand because he couldn't find a logger who would take 'em. Within a few years most had either died or blown over due to root damage. Had to pay a tree company to take down two dead ones in the front yard; the lady next door lost one of hers during a storm. It fell on the power line.

On the other hand, there was a huge, ancient yard poplar across the road from where I worked for years. Dunno how old it was but the base was a good 4 feet in diameter. I've never seen a poplar that big anywhere else.

Last edited:
I'd leave it for the Summer shade and coolth.

If someone came along and wanted it for a sawmill or something I might let them have it otherwise it's a pretty nice stately looking tree.
I don't see poplars falling over unless they are dead around here.

I was curious about this* and did some reading. It sounds like there's some concern about tulip poplar because the wood is more brittle than many other species and less likely to shed leaves in heavy wind, which means they catch more wind, but the result tends to be large limbs breaking, not the tree actually toppling.

Based on that, since you seem to like the tree, I say keep it unless and until it shows signs of distress.

* Partially just because the picture didn't look like a poplar to me - interesting to learn that tulip poplar is actually closer related to magnolia than true poplars - and partially because a neighbor had a poplar (not a tulip poplar) fall on the power lines by our house 2-3 years ago in a moderate wind. The PUD took the rest of his poplars down to prevent it happening again - it turned out almost all of them had rotting centers close to the ground, so they were all at risk of the whole tree toppling in the near future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.