should i trade my chainsaw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
I have a ms290 saw...the Guy I cut with today had 2 saws...one was a 034 super I used it and man it cut great...he said he would trade me straight up...should I do it....only thing I noticed with the 034 was sometimes starting it...the rope was really easy to pull like it wasn't catching...

" 034 super I used it and man it cut great"

Are you saying your 290 don't cut great? Same chain & sharpness?
Hours/years on each saw?
Did you buy yours new & keep it services, clean & in good shape & always run good gas? Does he?
Do you want an 034 more than yo want a 290?

You have to have a good reason to swap, "you want to" & as long as both parties are happy.

Gotta be your choice. what ever the reason :)

I'm saying my 029 seems underpowered...034 doesn't...the reason he wants to trade...he's older this pro saw is hard for him to pull on to get started...

Sounds like a good reason.

Also,
Have him look at the Husqvarna. some models have aecompression valve for easy start - easy pull.

From 359 owners manual:
The machine is ï¬tted with a decompression valve (A): Press
the valve to reduce the pressure in the cylinder and make
starting easier. You should always use the decompression
valve when starting the machine. Once the machine has
started the valve will automatically return to its original setting.

Just trying to figure out if this trade is a good deal for me

First of all what type of wood were you cutting? Second how much weight difference is their between the two saws? I may be wrong but something here smells fishy.I would really consider keeping tour MS 290.As to the 034 this could be something minor with the rewind mechanism.If you decide to trade, I would have a compression test before you make a swap. Ken

If they are in the same condition, it is a great deal for you. Adjust accordingly based on condition.

If there is nothing wrong with the 034 I would trade in a heartbeat. I have an 034 super and it is a great saw. More powerful than the 290 and lighter too.

i think im goona trade tomorrow...trust me nothing fishy about it...this guy is a good friend and very trusty.....034 is a beast compared to the 290........i just dont know what that starter cord would involve...

Most likely the pawls are worn or burred and not extending as they should. The wire clip could have lost some tension too. Either way should be under $10 to fix it. 034 Super is pretty spittin' close to a 036/036 Pro/MS360. Helluva upgrade from the 290.

MasterMech said:
Most likely the pawls are worn or burred and not extending as they should. The wire clip could have lost some tension too. Either way should be under $10 to fix it. 034 Super is pretty spittin' close to a 036/036 Pro/MS360. Helluva upgrade from the 290.

Yea, what he said!!! Grab it & don't look back. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.