should I upgrade?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

76ER

Nov 30, 2007
Southern Ontario
Good day folks!,..here is my dilema...I have a very small double brick bungalo with no insulation except for the attic and basement walls (which I just completed). Due to the lack of a space to properly install (safety constraints) my woodstove up stairs, I had to put it the basement ..taboo I know..but the house is only 800 sq ft...I do have some firewood/moisture issues but can heat the basment to 25 deg. c/77 deg. f, and the upstairs to only 15 deg. c/59 deg. f.. Should I upgrade to a larger wood stove?...I presently have a Pacific Energy Vista.

Based only on these few sentences, I would say only upgrade stoves if you want it warmer downstairs. Otherwise, you may look at different ways to move more heat between the floors. It's been discussed on here numerous times. Some work OK (fans) some are also taboo (holes in the floor/ceiling.

well if you do, wont the basement then get much hotter, and youll be burning way more wood.
to get up stairs to 10 degrees warmer, then too wont the basement get 10+ degrees warmer?

cant safely put a small one upstairs like an the aspen or something?

Is the basement living space?

So....you are heating 1600sqft combined. A little bit to much to ask from the Vista, it's not really a 24/7 stove IMO.

If you are looking to heat solely with wood I would get a bigger stove.

the basement is not living space....any particular upgrade I should be looking for? Thanks

I'm partial to PE's and since you already have one, you could move up to the Super 27 if budget minded or the Spectrum Classic if you want all the "extras" the fireboxes are identical. 8hr burn no problem with enough coals to relight up to 12hrs. (Get the ash dump)

There are also alot of other nice stoves out there, shop around and see what you like. IMO a 2cuft stove is about the right fit for your application. The only thing I would caution you against is a stove that loads east/west (left to right) with only a front loading door, bad combination IMO.

Do as much draft stopping and weatherstripping/caulking as humanly possible.
Get ahead on your wood so you don't have to worry about wet wood next year.

I don't think that there is a particularly neat and efficient solution to this problem. I would focus on insulating upstairs, and working to increase circulation from the basement to the first floor. Maybe some fans, new registers in the floor, etc... but keep in mind that you are then going to encounter some safety issues. A larger stove downstairs is going to be a brute force solution, burning a lot of wood to keep the worms warm. Is there any way possible to get the stove upstairs?

Another thought, do you have any access to anthracite coal there? If so, there are some very good options available. Several automatic stoker stoves, such as the Keystoker 90 and the Harman Magnum Stoker have internal fans and ducts on top, specifically designed to funnel heat upstairs.

Another thought, if clearances upstairs are your problem, is a pellet stove.

-- Mike

well thanks...I'll look into both those mentioned models...

I know you don't get winter where you are, but is there a practical way to insulate the inside of the exterior walls?

Mike,
Because of the size of my house...wall space is limited...the very large windows don't help....I've got only about 2 places I could put a stove without tripping over it...then comes the problem of moving the chimney....it already runs straight up from the basement through the attic and outside...its in the middle of the house along side the brick chimney....I'll try improving air flow...I would hate to go and buy a new stove without exausting all options...Thanks for the input

Ian

Jimbob,
Great reply...especially the part about not getting winter...hahahaha...we dont get it as bad as you but it can dip down...Cheers!

Jimbob,
I love the "high"..-12...I guess you need a Summit!!..Cheers...

I agree with others on the insulation and air movement needing to be adressed but would add that a 2cuft stove is not oversized for 1600sqft in Ontario Canada.

The current stove is not really capable of heating 24/7 unless you are an insomniac or don't mind your backup heat picking up the slack.

There are 3 problems:

1. The current stove is too small
2. Poor insulation
3. Less than ideal location

thanks!!...I'll try to address those issues asap...prior to upgrading....I have been getting up to tend the stove through the night and it hasn't bothered me yet....we'll see...suppose to be a cold winter this year..may not want to get out of the sack! Cheers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.