Should our glass be covered by ash after one day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briggsy13

Sep 19, 2011
Maryland
I'm assuming this is normal, but wanted to check. I cleaned the glass last night then after running over night the glass is almost totally covered by ash/whatever the yellow gunk is. To the point that you can't see the fire hardly. Thanks for all your wisdom!

It really depends on the type of stove, pellets, air wash system, cleanliness, etc. I can tell you my old Whitfield stoves (both of them) were like that.

My new Harman stoves have a much better air wash system and I can go a week without cleaning the windows.

Cincinnati Kid said:
It really depends on the type of stove, pellets, air wash system, cleanliness, etc. I can tell you my old Whitfield stoves (both of them) were like that.

My new Harman stoves have a much better air wash system and I can go a week without cleaning the windows.

I agree with the above post 100%. Maybe try another brand of pellets if you have different brands.

PJPellet said:
Cincinnati Kid said:

I agree with the above post 100%. Maybe try another brand of pellets if you have different brands.

I just put our first bag of stove chow in the hopper but it will probably take a day or two to get down to that. It holds 3 bags so we will see if that burns cleaner than the other.

My englander will ash up but my enviro ef2 will go for days.

I've got an Enviro M55, burning stove chow, and cleaning the glass once a week.

Even after a week the fire is very visible.

My Thelin gets ash within a bag of pellets...I guess that is just the way the stove burns...it's a pain but I just wipe it with a damp paper towel after it cools down...sometimes I open the stove when it's running and clean it with a dry paper towel.....opps..

Depends on your pellets and burn setting. Higher burn settings make less soot on the glass due to higher temps but also because the combustion blower runs faster and thus generates more vacuum inside the stove which in turn makes the air wash system for the glass more effective by simply pulling more air through it.

Checkthisout said:
Depends on your pellets and burn setting. Higher burn settings make less soot on the glass due to higher temps but also because the combustion blower runs faster and thus generates more vacuum inside the stove which in turn makes the air wash system for the glass more effective by simply pulling more air through it.
Agreed, some pellets are just dirtier than others. In my stove the softies leave less ash and cleaner glass. I can go 5-6 bags on setting 2 of 5 and still see the fire pretty well with a soft. About 3-4 with a good hard.

Check your air/damper. Not enough air will create more soot.

Were you running on a lower level? Stoves tend to get more build up on the glass on low feed rates. Mine does anyway. Try cleaning the glass using ash and a wet paper towel. Works good on getting rid of stubborn build up on the glass. Of couse as said by many others above, the type of pellets you're using will make a huge difference.

Neversink said:
Were you running on a lower level? Stoves tend to get more build up on the glass on low feed rates. Mine does anyway. Try cleaning the glass using ash and a wet paper towel. Works good on getting rid of stubborn build up on the glass. Of couse as said by many others above, the type of pellets you're using will make a huge difference.

Yes its running at 1 or 2 right now. Its not real cold here yet, hoping that when we crank it up it will burn a little cleaner.

Most airwash systems are only going to be efficient at the higher temperatures and faster combustion fan speeds. Once or twice a day crank the stove up to burn up the inefficient or incomplete burn residues not only on the glass but wherever else it my stick to.

Wondering if the Thelin 3000 Parlour was this ash wash feature...do all stoves have this..???..I did notice less ash on the glass at the medium setting...this stove really puts the heat out and I keep it at low...weather has been mild so far here in Maine.

Status
Not open for further replies.