should people be looking for the lowest price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgmt

Feb 22, 2010
maine
I am going to spend a little more on pellets to get a great and hot burning pellet for next winter (of course I did shop for the best price for these brands) and i was thinking doesn't it actually cost less to buy a better pellet? I mean if I pay 30-40 a ton more for a premium pellet I'm thinking oakies & barefoot and I can turn the feed rate down because I get a lot more heat from them don't I actually make up for the 30-40 more I spend per ton?

actually if i compare lignetics to barefoot per ton its $10.00 and to oakies its $20.00

bfgmt said:
I am going to spend a little more on pellets to get a great and hot burning pellet for next winter (of course I did shop for the best price for these brands) and i was thinking doesn't it actually cost less to buy a better pellet? I mean if I pay 30-40 a ton more for a premium pellet I'm thinking oakies & barefoot and I can turn the feed rate down because I get a lot more heat from them don't I actually make up for the 30-40 more I spend per ton?

Way too many variables for ME to figure out. BUT, I'm sure that macman and BTU can offer absolute proof that you will save millions by buying those brands. It's your money.

I agree with hoss, Lots of variables to contend with. I caused enough raucous with my testing to even comment on it!

I am sure the more fuel=more heat guy will chime in!

This maybe a good place to start a what do we need to check to figure it out ! I will volunteer some time to help solve it! Just need to set a guideline of what is to be measured/weighed/inspected. I do not have a means to check the moisture content. Pellet density may also be a tough chore! One place to start would be to catch and weigh the pellets from the auger(say 10 revolution's). Check a few different brands with some things measured ahead. A denser pellet should have more overall weight per auger load.

Moister content/Density/Pellet Diameter and length/fiber quality/Fiber BTU content. Here are just some of the variables that may effect the fuel charge! These are theory's as I don't know nada! squat even!!! Dumb as a rock they say! :lol:

Find several pellets that burn really well in your stove and then get any of those when they can be had at a decent price.

Keep on testing pellets that you haven't used before so you can add to your list.

If the pellets are from a just on-line mill give them a couple of tries if the first batch doesn't work out for you. If they want to make some money they'll get things sorted out.

I`m finding that the quality of even the better brands of pellets isn`t consistant from one year to the next. It can be a roll of the dice , great one year and worse the next year. At least with the few brands I`ve used.

Status
Not open for further replies.