Should the Cen-tech IR Thermometer have a laser?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newcomtd

Nov 12, 2013
Ohio
I bought the IR thermometer from Harbor Freight last night and there is no laser to indicate what you are pointing at. Should it have a laser?

Have you checked out the manual? If it is being used correctly, maybe the battery is dead or the unit is defective?

Capture.JPG

Have you checked out the manual? If it is being used correctly, maybe the battery is dead or the unit is defective?

View attachment 118270

I will check the manual when I get home. Batteries are brand new. The temp readings seem accurate enough (dachshund dog was 86 degrees). I think it is just defective.

My older model has a switch with which I can turn the laser on or off. Maybe you hit that? At the front there should be like a red LED light. That's the "laser".

Yes, mine can be turned on and off. Check the manual.

mine has a laser also, just bough a couple months back, I dont see anyway to turn off but havent really looked

I never use mine. Anytime I push the button that lights it the temp reading goes up. Release the button and the temp goes down.

Ours does have the laser.

I never use mine. Anytime I push the button that lights it the temp reading goes up. Release the button and the temp goes down.
So you are saying it isn't reliable?

I am saying it makes my thermo read incorrectly when the "laser" is on.

Got it. I thought you meant you never use the thermometer.

Mine is a different make, but I just tried it and the readings are identical, laser on or off. Just speculating, but could the battery be down?

Mine is a different make, but I just tried it and the readings are identical, laser on or off. Just speculating, but could the battery be down?

Nope. I don't know what its problem is. Been that way since I bought it several years ago. I don't mind. I don't need a dot. I know where I am aiming it.

I bought the IR thermometer from Harbor Freight last night and there is no laser to indicate what you are pointing at. Should it have a laser?
Which one of these is it? http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=infrared thermometer

The first two say that they have it, so it should have a way to turn it on or off with a button.

The third one's manual http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/93000-93999/93984.pdf Makes no mention of it, but it's only good for 482F anyway, so limited usefulness on a stove.

Edit: It looks like the first two only have one button for operation, so for those, it looks like the laser comes on automatically. The third one seems to have a warning label, so it sounds like it should have one but the manual doesn't say.

Last edited:
Nope. I don't know what its problem is. Been that way since I bought it several years ago. I don't mind. I don't need a dot. I know where I am aiming it.
Have you compared it with a known good one?

FWIW, I rarely use my laser either. Unless I'm trying to torture the dog.

I don't have to compare it with anything. When it is displaying a temperature and I turn on the laser and that temp goes up and then goes back down when I turn off the laser that tells me all I need to know.

So I returned mine to the store and swapped it with another one. The laser works on the new one. There is not a separate switch to turn on the laser. It comes on automatically when the trigger is pulled.

I don't need a dot. I know where I am aiming it.

This makes it sound like we are talking about a firearm haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.