Should there be built up on the burn pot.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

referee38

Mar 27, 2011
Eastern Pa
I am in my first year with a pellet stove I have a P43. Question is should there be built up on the front of the burn pot as the stove burns. Hope this is not a dumb question. By the way my wife loves the heat from the stove. :)

Harman owners will chime in for sure but I believe that a bottom feeder like a Harman pushes the ash out of the front of the pot with the incoming pellets... the pellets should not be overflowing...

referee38 said:
....Question is should there be built up on the front of the burn pot as the stove burns...

Can you explain what you mean by that? Do you mean ash, pellets, carbon, something else?

If ash, yes. You should have an inch to an inch and a half between the burning pellets and the edge of the burn pot.

Un-burnt pellets should not be overflowing off the end of the burn pot.

Carbon will build up in the burn pot.

Hitch said:
referee38 said:
....Question is should there be built up on the front of the burn pot as the stove burns...

Can you explain what you mean by that? Do you mean ash, pellets, carbon, something else?

If ash, yes. You should have an inch to an inch and a half between the burning pellets and the edge of the burn pot.

Un-burnt pellets should not be overflowing off the end of the burn pot.

Carbon will build up in the burn pot.

Hitch is absolutely correct. In heavy use I open the door and clean the ashes off once a day. Some people only do it twice a week.

Yes I would call it ash.
Ed

I do the same thing as PJPellet. When I burned NEWPs a couple years ago, I had quite a bit of ash and did push the ash into the ash pan a couple time a day. With the Turman pellets, I don't get very much and just give the pot a scraping once a day. That's probably not even necessary. There will be carbon build up. I find a screwdriver does the trick to get that off. If it's too hard to get off, I use the screwdriver and a small hammer to give it a tap. I don't really like the tool Harman gives you. As time goes on, you will feel more comfortable with your stove, and won't worry as much. It took me a while to get there though!

newf lover said:
I do the same thing as PJPellet. When I burned NEWPs a couple years ago, I had quite a bit of ash and did push the ash into the ash pan a couple time a day. With the Turman pellets, I don't get very much and just give the pot a scraping once a day. That's probably not even necessary. There will be carbon build up. I find a screwdriver does the trick to get that off. If it's too hard to get off, I use the screwdriver and a small hammer to give it a tap. I don't really like the tool Harman gives you. As time goes on, you will feel more comfortable with your stove, and won't worry as much. It took me a while to get there though!

Thanks for the screwdriver tip. I thought I had been getting the carbon buildup with the tool Harman sent with the stove. Wrong, for first time Sunday morning stove failed to ignite while in auto mode, I thought maybe igniter was going bad. This afternoon I cleaned the pot out and took a small wood chisel and after a couple of scrapes got under a big chunk of carbon that had to of been 1/32-1/16 of an inch thick and all the way across the pot. I think that could of been the problem instead of the igniter. I'll find out shortly!

dw06 said:
newf lover said:

Thanks for the screwdriver tip. I thought I had been getting the carbon buildup with the tool Harman sent with the stove. Wrong, for first time Sunday morning stove failed to ignite while in auto mode, I thought maybe igniter was going bad. This afternoon I cleaned the pot out and took a small wood chisel and after a couple of scrapes got under a big chunk of carbon that had to of been 1/32-1/16 of an inch thick and all the way across the pot. I think that could of been the problem instead of the igniter. I'll find out shortly!

Crossing my fingers for you! Keep us posted.

Good news, that was it!! Fired right up. and not only that but flame is much better and more lively. Can't believe I missed that big of a chunk of carbon. But hey I'm new at this, good thing I got you guys to bail me out! ;-)

dw06 said:
Good news, that was it!! Fired right up. and not only that but flame is much better and more lively. Can't believe I missed that big of a chunk of carbon. But hey I'm new at this, good thing I got you guys to bail me out! ;-)

Nice! You aren't as new as I am. I now know to look for the build up.

Look around for a gasket scraper in auto stores. A set of 3 usually sells for about $10 and the angle of the scrapper is just right for scraping the pot . I do it daily.

The carbon built up are you talking about the sides and bottom and top. Built up in all these areas?

Ed

lecomte38 said:
Look around for a gasket scraper in auto stores. A set of 3 usually sells for about $10 and the angle of the scrapper is just right for scraping the pot . I do it daily.

Great tip, I will get me a set! Never thought of that Thanks!
referee38, The carbon was built up in the base of the burn pot with alittle on the sides. I always scraped the top down to where the holes ended, but was not going far enough to get it all I guess. Anyhow it was right above where the ingniter needed to heat the pellets, and finally got too much there and wouldn't get pellets hot enough to light them. So now I know :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.