Should towns or counties require wood be stacked and covered?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I would guess that it is a small percentage. The large percentage of hearth.com visitors are silent and read only. The core posters here are wood burning enthusiasts and not necessarily a representation of the average wood burner. In full disclosure we rarely have wood stashed that is over 2 years old. But we also don't have any oak or hickory. However, madrona gets a couple years seasoning here.
Two years tops for me. That's two full summers and more than double what most locals do.

Yep, the American free spirit. Force people to follow rule YOU believe in. If they do not agree,,, call them ignorant or some other name.

AGREED

I have seen piles of this and that in peoples yards..toys all over..maybe a old car out back or two. Didn't bother me any but not so sure about the neighbors.
You pay your money and you take your chances I guess. I stack my wood but never cover it and I doubt you could get me to do it.

My oldest wood will be CSS for about 19 months by the time I burn it this winter - and that's my left over from last year. The rest of my wood will be about 8-11 months.

Yep, the American free spirit. Force people to follow rule YOU believe in. If they do not agree,,, call them ignorant or some other name.

Yes, I believe in individual freedom. Such as my freedom to breathe clean air. Once you stop the smoke belching out of your chimney from crossing your fence line you can burn whatever you want.

Ignorant - lacking knowledge or awareness in general.

I am Ignorant in some stuff, like welding. How that all gets wrapped in in your "freedom" I have no idea, seems to be the trend these days.

My idea would leave people that gather their own wood out of the picture, only regulation would be at the Dealer level, it would be about impossible to regulate otherwise.

Around here only complaint calls get answered. You can have a landfill in your front yard and if no one complains ,no one gets cited.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Yes, I believe in individual freedom. Such as my freedom to breathe clean air. Once you stop the smoke belching out of your chimney from crossing your fence line you can burn whatever you want.
You seem to misunderstand "freedom", or misconstrue it into freedom to limit the actions of others. You get what you buy. If you don't want a neighbor belching out smoke, you are free to either buy him out or move. Better yet, avoid moving into that situation in the first place. That's your freedom. This is in no way similar to poorly-cited analogies of allowing others to partake in activities which are threatening to your life (eg. drunk driving), as you cannot reasonably avoid interaction with that situation.

Your statement is analogous to the guy who's upset because someone put a development on the farm next to him, ruining his view. You get what you pay for, and freedom is not defined as limiting the actions of others, based on your personal preferences. Don't buy a house next to an un-protected farm, if that's your concern. Make smart choices, and quietly enjoy the benefit or pain of the choices you make.
x4.

Last edited:
This thread has gone south. Consensus seems to be this is a bad idea.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Status
Not open for further replies.