Shoulder season break-in fires question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyrfalcon

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2007
Champlain Valley, Vermont
How often do you need to do break-in fires during shoulder season, when you're not burning every day, but maybe just for a day or two every week or even couple of weeks before settling into daily or 24/7 burning?

A week or so ago, we had several days of really chilly weather, so I did my break-in fires and then kept the stove going pretty good in the evenings to take the worst of the chill off. Then we had a week of mild weather when I didn't need the stove at all. Now we've got another bout of cold coming.

After the stove is sitting unused for a week or more, as happens with the variable weather here in NE, do I need to go through the break-in fires again? IOW, how long are the break-in fires good for before you need to do them again? Dumb question, I guess, but I don't know how long the effects last.

Not a dumb question at all. You're in the early burning season now, the stove has had it's fall wakeup. Burn em if you need to.

BeGreen said:
Not a dumb question at all. You're in the early burning season now, the stove has had it's fall wakeup. Burn em if you need to.

Thanks, BeGreen. Supposing we had a real early cold spell and it was a month or six weeks before the stove got used again. Still OK?

My feeble understanding is that the break-in fires are to gently drive the humidity out of the stove, in my case soapstone. Safe to assume it takes a number of weeks of a cold stove and fairly high humidity to make another break-in fire necessary? (Come to think of it, do people in humid climates, like parts of the NW, need to do them more often in these circumstances?)

Actual real-life circumstances never quite fit the bare instructions, so I'm trying to understand the principles involved so I can adapt as needed.

Your understanding is correct. If you have a really damp, but mild fall with no burning for over a month, then a sudden cold snap, I would probably do a smaller fire to dry out the stones first. But if you've already started burning, the stove is probably not going to soak up tons of moisture before you burn again.

I thought that the only time a fire needed a break in fire was when it was new, so what I'm reading here says you need one every year???

Rex said:
I thought that the only time a fire needed a break in fire was when it was new, so what I'm reading here says you need one every year???

Its a darn good idea. Even firebrick can hold some moisture.

Note: NEED is a very strong word. Will your stove crumble with out one? Probably not, but I kinda like to be nice to my stove, so that in turn, its nice to me.

The only kind of "break-in" fires I'm familiar with in connection with woodstoves are the series of 2 or 3 moderate fires recommended by some manufacturers for curing the finish on the stove/connector pipe/furnace cement (if used) system. Done once...unless you do a lot of refinishing at some point. I did some touch-up painting after my stovepipe disassembly/reassembly for sweeping, and I could (as expected) smell that paint curing during the first subsequent fire. Lighting a fire in a woodstove shouldn't be a violent thermal event, unless you're crazy enough to use some sort of accelerant. It's not like cutting in oil through a boiler burner tube and all of a sudden there's big-time fire in there. You build a stack of wood, and you ignite it, and the fire starts really small, and it slowly builds in intensity, and all the materials in the system begin to heat up. I think the danger of some sort of "thermal shock" is pretty minimal. I'd say the time it takes your stove to get up to operating temp is your "break-in". Rick

Adios Pantalones said:
It's more important for a soapstone stove, Rex.

Yeah, the Hearthstone manual says to do it, and I figure they probably know better than me. Good to know, though, that I don't need to obsess over it.

excellent piont Rick, and you are correct. By tthe time everything takes to heat up hot moisture etc has disapated, I believe it even more so with soapstone because it does take longer to heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.