Shoulder Season - Early Morning Dew cause Pellet Stove FOO !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Does anyone have any trouble with early morning damp air clumping up their burn pots??

Last Sunday morning when I awoke bright and early at 9 AM. LOL

Checked the stove and there was alot of black soot on widow and back fire brick.

Yes, I know that can indicate not enough air for the burn but the air damper was fine the night before and the fire was burning fine!

The burn pot was chock full of clumped ash and the there was a lazy flame and some unburned wood pellets!!
See 3rd pic

Since many of the Travis stoves have a square hole in the fresh air plenum at the bottom of the stove, (see 2nd pic) I closed down the OAK damper (See 1st pic) to cut down on the outside dampish air.

This way, more dry heated air is used for burning.

So the last two mornings when I awoke the stove has been burning fine!

Has anyone else seen this??

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaBurnPotclumpAshSC.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaBurnPotclumpAshSC.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 365
  • AvalonAstoriaOAKstoveHoleSC.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaOAKstoveHoleSC.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 312
  • OAKAirCutBackSC.jpg
    OAKAirCutBackSC.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 309
Looks like you are sucking in crud through your OAK, not good, you want air not crud.

What does the outside area around the OAK inlet look like?

SmokeyTheBear said:
Looks like you are sucking in crud through your OAK, not good, you want air not crud.

What does the outside area around the OAK inlet look like?

Looks like a little dust in the OAK plenum. That should not cause the clumped ash.
I had to stick the camera way inside the back to take the pic so I do not normally see that! I can clean that easily.

The outside is fine.

Attachments

• OAKoutsideSC.jpg
    OAKoutsideSC.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 269
Now, you have to find out how it got there.

I don't have any trouble with my sealed system so other than to point out the stuff that shouldn't be where it is I'll be of little help.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Now, you have to find out how it got there.

I don't have any trouble with my sealed system so other than to point out the stuff that shouldn't be where it is I'll be of little help.

Hi Smokey

It was just room dust from the inside of the stove. I just removed the room blower and vacuumed it all out.
See pic

I just know that the clumpd ash happens when there is moisture in the air outside and now that I closed down the OAK some it seems much better.

So I will keep testing but that may be the answer.

Do not use as much outside air in the sholder seasons for this Avalon Astoria stove!

Attachments

• PlenumCleanSC.jpg
    PlenumCleanSC.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 180
Status
Not open for further replies.