1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Shoulder season in December?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by lukem, Dec 21, 2011.

1. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    My defintion of the shoulder season is when it is too warm to have a fire, and too cold not to have a fire. Weather here in the hoosier state is definately shoulder season weather this week. We've already reached our low of 45* tonight, and a high of 50* tomorrow. I have a small fire going but it is roasting me out. If I let the fire go out the boss will be on me about it being too chilly.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Its not often that i wish it would get 15* colder at night, but i do today.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Had a lot of that up here- many evenings of opening the slider door for a while to bring the temps down in the house- but I would rather do that than hear the oil dragon in the basement firing off!
  3. Pat53

Pat53 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    UP Mich
    Yup, thats why storage is nice. Useable heat only when you need it and no wasted wood/heat. I've been burning only junk aspen and birch for 2 months now waiting for the cold to hit. hard to believe that up here in the UP of Michigan we have NO SNOW at all. Normally have almost a foot on the ground by now on average, sometimes a LOT more too. And there is no snow in sight for at least the rest of the week. We'll probably pay for this nice weather sooner or later. probably won't get above 40F till next May ! LOL

Went out and scrounged another cord+ in the slashing today in about 2 hours, and plan on getting at least another cord later in the week.
  4. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Been burning 24/7 since the end of September and haven't had to burn one decent stick of firewood. What a beautiful thing.
  5. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I ran out of junk wood a few weeks back. Burning ash and oak right now because that's all i have.
  6. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Hey, you do what you gotta do.
  7. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    True dat. Not burning much...should throw some hedge in there tonight and load it again on Friday!
  8. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Just a few days normal or below temps so far this month,but also at least 5 days 45 to 55 degrees.Only 5 inches snow in 2 separate storms since mid November here.Last year at this time there was at least a foot of snow covering a 5 county radius.Still burning odd chunks/uglies,remaining scrap/edgings from milling last Spring & from big pile of 2"-5" dead fallen branches.About 2 p/u loads total,long as weather stays decent that should last me another 3-4 weeks easily.Not even touched the 'good stuff' yet.Plan on going out & cutting more later in the week,I'm usually done working in the woods by now because of deep snow.
  9. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
  10. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    My office with my woodstove is in NW Indiana. I feel your pain. Very warm out...and wet. I'm at 74.4 in here with a smoulder going. Kind of sucks to be in this in-between. I want 30 degree nights, so I can load the stove prior to coming back in the morning for work.
  11. firecracker_77

Loc:
  12. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    LOL
    Was just listening to complaining about nice weather, be careful what you ask for.
    More to be funny than anything,
    Hope you all get snow for Christmas :)
  13. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Story on local news tonight that this is the first Christmas since 2006 that there's no snow on the ground in metro area.4 years in a row,set a record apparantly.Not only a foot on the ground last year,but 2 more inches fell on Christmas Day itself.I wouldnt mind seeing 3-4 inches over the weekend,but its not in the forecast though.No snow with firm frozen ground does mean it'll be easier for me to cut some more on my day off however. :coolsmirk:
  14. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Given the choice of walking around outside when it's in the 30s or 40s and -23 as it hit one morning last year I'll gladly take the warmer.

Matt
  15. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah 48 outside at nine o'clock and I have just put three splits on the coals for tonight. Been cloudy and chilly all day. No other heat source so ya burn the wood. In this place over the years I have never noticed a heck of a lot of difference in how much wood I burn no matter how mild or cold the winter is. 50 outside is fine but I ain't gonna have it inside. The inside gets down to 69 or 70 and something is gonna burn.
  16. firecracker_77

Loc:
    Yep...no reason to be chilly when you have a stove and a stack of dry wood.
  17. firecracker_77

Loc:
    Point taken. Nothing like crying about mild temps.
  18. aussiedog3

aussiedog3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Kinda the same here in West Michigan.
    Been burning since the first week in November.
    Still burning up pine and very little hardwood.
    Feels good to get some of the pine burned up and out of the way.
  19. Oregon Bigfoot

Oregon Bigfoot Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Oregon
    Same here in Oregon. It's been drier here in December 2011 in the Pacific Northwest than any other month this year. Very odd. We have had 0.10 inches of rain ALL month. Weather man says we are at 3% of normal precipitation for December. It's been cool, but not too cold. If it keeps up, this will be the driest December on record, after 6 inches of rain in November.

It was nice to watch the Blazers finally play without Brandon Roy, last night. They put on an up tempo show.

Oregon Bigfoot.
  20. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Turned real mild here... had to let the fire die. At least I get to clean the blackened glass from trying to burn it on low. Will need to have a fire this evening though as it will be turning cold.
  21. Cascade Failure

Cascade Failure Member

Loc:
    SE CT
    Well, I'm starting more fires and using more kindling than last year but my stack isn't shrinking nearly as fast...yeah, I can live with that.
  22. Grannyknot

Grannyknot New Member

Loc:
    East Tennessee
    My problem with shoulder season is that I only really need the house to be warm at night and in the mornings, but it takes so long to get my firebox up to temps, that I pretty much have a fire going all the time. During shoulder season I usually end up building a big fire but then shutting the damper and intakes all the way....really just to keep some coals in there for the night/morning stokes. I hate shoulder season because I feel like I am wasting good wood just to keep hot coals in the stove.
  23. Coach B

Coach B Member

Loc:
    Middle Tennessee
    Interestingly, when its cold up your way its often mild in the eastern states.

What a difference a year makes. Last year we had single digits in mid Dec with some snow. Today I had 60 degrees this morning when I got up. Woodpiles are not shrinking, but may be rotting with the mild and wet weather we've been having.
  24. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

THAT is a CRIME! >:-( Punishable by having all your Ash and Oak taken away for the rest of the season!
  25. stejus

stejus Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    First day of Winter coming up and it will be near 50 degrees. It will be 50 degree's today as well. Burning up some bark that I have been storing up as it falls off the wood. I've only run the stove hard on a few occasions so far this year.