Shoulder Season Weather / Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Since we had warmer weather this year we changed our burning habits for about three months (burned cooler stack temps) we will never do that again. Most of the chimney was the same except for part of the section (about four feet down from the top) the good thing was it was all fluffy ash.

Thie screen up top looks good but this summer I'll get up on the roof for a better look plus clean it. The Liberty is going back to burning at 600-650 which should take care of most of the problem.

The first two pictures are before the cleaning. We also use anit creo soot spray which turns any buildup to a fluffy ash so cleaning is easier.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4747.jpg
    100_4747.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 309
  • 100_4751.jpg
    100_4751.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 322
  • 100_4752.jpg
    100_4752.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 311
  • 100_4753.jpg
    100_4753.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 315
  • 100_4756.jpg
    100_4756.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 317
  • 100_4757.jpg
    100_4757.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 319
Not real bad zap. You are getting there... My wife will probably check our chimney one more time. I think it is a waste of time with ours. And for those who might find fault with that statement, we've cleaned our chimney once in 5 years because our stove and our fuel is excellent so we get no creosote and very, very little soot.

Impressive Zap. Looks perty dang good to me. I cleaned out my inside pipe from the stove out to the "tee" last weekend. Granted it is single wall pipe, and even with all the shoulder style burns we've been doing, with the stove cut way down, it still wasn't too bad at all. A little bit of flakes but NO popcorn or big stuff.

Scotty Overkill said:
Impressive Zap. Looks perty dang good to me. I cleaned out my inside pipe from the stove out to the "tee" last weekend. Granted it is single wall pipe, and even with all the shoulder style burns we've been doing, with the stove cut way down, it still wasn't too bad at all. A little bit of flakes but NO popcorn or big stuff.

With the warm temps coming back starting on Sunday our inside pipe will get cleaned this coming week.

zap

Here is mine,

flue before and after brushing,

stove pipe before brushing.

This is my first year in many years heating with wood. I do have a fear of a chimney fire, have brushed the flue once a month since November. How much creosote is acceptable? This was the first time I took the stove pipe off to clean it. It definitely looks like it should have been done much sooner.

Attachments

• chimmy 3-10-12 003.jpg
    chimmy 3-10-12 003.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 212
  • after brushing.jpg
    after brushing.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 184
  • stove pipe 3-10-12 008.jpg
    stove pipe 3-10-12 008.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 216
All I can say is this was the most we ever had in the chimney, some of these members that have burned longer could answer that better. We went back to burning hotter which should take care of our problem.

zap

We just purchased the place last May. The previous owner left about three cord of season ash. I will admit I have been burning green poplar since, I have forty acres of the stuff so it is readily available. I have purchased ten cords of red and white oak. Now that the weather is nice I will have to start in earnest to get a couple of seasons ahead.

The stove pipe when I moved in was about one third clogged with creosote. I bought new pipe instead of trying to clean it.

Currently burning in a Northern Leader wood furnace (company no longer in business) that is located in a room on the opposite side of my garage. The heat is then delivered through duct work that goes overhead in the attic and heat registers are located in the ceiling. I know it is not the most efficient system and am currently looking into other options. Until then that is what I have. It did keep the house warm even on the couple of days it got down to -25*f.

Status
Not open for further replies.