Shoulder Season Wood Done.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Just a few pictures of the Basswood I finished splitting, I plan on using it for the shoulder season.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0536.jpg
    100_0536.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 454
  • 100_0538.jpg
    100_0538.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 457
Nice pile! Good work!

FireAnt said:
Nice pile! Good work!

Thanks FireAnt, I was glad to get it done and get out of there, I had two Cherry trees the wind was blowing around pretty good. I still have some clean up in that area before I can fell two Cherry.

zap

Looks like its time to give up the pellet stove and throw in another wood burner

smokinjay said:
Looks like its time to give up the pellet stove and throw in another wood burner

Smokin it's funny you mention that, the wife called and told me she shut the pellet stove off then built a fire. She will get the cellar about 81 then let the Liberty cool off.

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Smokin it's funny you mention that, the wife called and told me she shut the pellet stove off then built a fire. She will get the cellar about 81 then let the Liberty cool off.

Zap

just seems you have enough wood to last a life time and those pellets are expensive 2 splitter and a coulpe bad @ss saws....once you get 20-30 cords ahead its the cheeper route.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

just seems you have enough wood to last a life time and those pellets are expensive 2 splitter and a coulpe bad @ss saws....once you get 20-30 cords ahead its the cheeper route.

The wife likes the pellet stove so it stays also we didn't know how heating with wood was going to turn out, but we love the heat plus the Liberty can heat our house from the basement without any problems.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

The wife likes the pellet stove so it stays also we didn't know how heating with wood was going to turn out, but we love the heat plus the Liberty can heat our house from the basement without any problems.

zap

not burning pellets for a year is a new free 660...lol we will convert you totally to the darkside yet! lol you have a sweeeet set-up..

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

zap

not burning pellets for a year is a new free 660...lol we will convert you totally to the darkside yet! lol you have a sweeeet set-up..

Or selling the wild leeks that grow in the woods, that could fetch some extra cash. My wife made some potato leek soup last year, you might want to stay away from me for a couple of days after eating leeks.

zap

ss="spellchecked_word">zapny</SPAN> said:
ss="spellchecked_word">smokinjay</SPAN> said:
ss="spellchecked_word">smokinjay</SPAN> said:
ss="spellchecked_word">smokinjay</SPAN>" date="1269904839 said:

ss="spellchecked_word">Smokin</SPAN> it's funny you mention that, the wife called and told me she shut the pellet stove off then built a fire. She will get the cellar about 81 then let the Liberty cool off.

Zap

just seems you have enough wood to last a life time and those pellets are expensive 2 splitter and a ss="spellchecked_word">coulpe</SPAN> bad @ss saws....once you get 20-30 cords ahead its the cheeper route.

zap

Or selling the wild leeks that grow in the woods, that could fetch some extra cash. My wife made some potato leek soup last year, you might want to stay away from me for a couple of days after eating leeks.

zap

lol learn something new everyday. We sold sassafrass roots out of my dads wood as a kid and some ginseng as well.

Nice work! looks to be about 2 weeks worth of burning! ha ha! low btu wood has it's place.It gets me out of the house to haul it in and I like the solitude.Besides,it can't be all grade A burn.

wood dope said:
Nice work! looks to be about 2 weeks worth of burning! ha ha! low btu wood has it's place.It gets me out of the house to haul it in and I like the solitude.Besides,it can't be all grade A burn.

It's down so I'll take it, should save us from burning some Cherry. Wish I had cut about 4-6 face cord of Basswood or Popple but maybe next year.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1269904839 said:

Zap

zap

zap

Wild leeks? Sweet. I love leeks...

zapny said:
Just a few pictures of the Basswood I finished splitting, I plan on using it for the shoulder season.

zap

those pictures make me cringe...

after my basswood fiasco last year/this year...

but in all honesty, i would take the popple over basswood any day. i have a hard time controlling it. it burns way to cussing hot!

Having a pellet stove is like eating at a fancy restaurant. If I had one I probably wouldn't get rid of it, but it wouldn't be used a lot.

Fella's....silly question I suppose, but could someone clarify what "Shoulder Season" is? I assume that it's pre and post burning season and would be where you might burn your not-so-preferable wood?

Thanks, Mike

Michael J said:
Fella's....silly question I suppose, but could someone clarify what "Shoulder Season" is? I assume that it's pre and post burning season and would be where you might burn your not-so-preferable wood?

Thanks, Mike
you got it. It's for when you aren't burning your bestest highest BTU wood in the stove. It's when you use the stuff that burns off quickest, or at a lower BTU.

CowboyAndy said:
zapny said:

zap

those pictures make me cringe...

after my basswood fiasco last year/this year...

but in all honesty, i would take the popple over basswood any day. i have a hard time controlling it. it burns way to cussing hot!

What do you mean Basswood thats Ash! :)

zap

That whole pile of Basswood is about $5 of oil. The difference is, no matter how much of that Basswood I put in my unit, it would never even get the water to 180 during the heating season. Possibly during shoulder season. It cost ya more to get that wood then what its gonna give you in hot water.

Danno77 said:
Michael J said:

Thanks, Mike
you got it. It's for when you aren't burning your bestest highest BTU wood in the stove. It's when you use the stuff that burns off quickest, or at a lower BTU.

Funny thing is that I have been burning my secret stash of Red Oak the last week or so. My junk Norway Maple is not seasoned enough and burns like crap! I was saving the Oak for the super cold, but I was afraid to squander it, now it all I have left.

Status
Not open for further replies.