Shoulder Season Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
I just bucked up a bunch of scrounge wood. Part of the load is cedar and pine. It would be a big help if I could use this for fall next year since I only have a 1.25-1.5 cords that will be ready. If I get it split up this weekend how do you like my chances of being able to use it next year?

As long as its split smaller and stacked in single rows off the ground, you should be fine.

Reactions: jatoxico
I have hemlock i'm using that was split last winter and fall. I spit most of it to a deck of cards size on the end.

I checked some with a MM the other day. 17% burns good.

I imagine the pine would dry as fast, or faster. The cedar, I don't have any experience with.

I have hemlock i'm using that was split last winter and fall. I spit most of it to a deck of cards size on the end.

I checked some with a MM the other day. 17% burns good.

I imagine the pine would dry as fast, or faster. The cedar, I don't have any experience with.

That's welcome news about the pine. The cedar can't be holding much water, the rounds are 1/2 the weight of even the pine rounds forget about oak or other hardwood.

I've c/s/s pine in the spring and burned the following early winter (about 6 months) without much problem.
Dry as it could be? No.
Burnable, w/o hissing? Yes. Give it plenty of air, and some sun will help a lot.
I'll have about a cord (maybe more) that's been c/s/s since last summer, to use next fall/early winter and the following spring.

So I split up that little bit of cedar and pine about 1/5 of a cord. If it dries up ok it wll help. Pretty stuff to work with.

Attachments

• cedar.JPG
    cedar.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 147
  • cedar2.JPG
    cedar2.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: PapaDave
Funny, I read about "Shoulder Season Wood" and always chuckle. Maybe I am lazy, but "Shoulder Season Wood" for me is always whatever wood I get to in the wood shed at "Shoulder Season" ;lol Mind you, I am not questioning all you organized guys and gals who separate and burn the low BTU stuff first and then the good stuff in the dead of winter...that probably is smart. But I just c/s/s and then burn. Never know what I am going to get when I carry inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.