Shoulder Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
How much wiggle room do you get when burning shoulder season wood? I've got some spruce that is not perfect but has been doing ok so far. Air is all the way open and loads are half the firebox. Once I loaded it 3/4 full and tried choking it down a bit. Here the glass started to get black.

I plan on cleaning the chimney once I'm through the cord of spruce I have. Just wondering how the chimney is going to look.

As long as you burn hot it should be OK. Remember creosote does not relate to the wood itself, rather the moisture content. As the remaining moisture content is burned off it forms condensation in a cold flue. As it collects on the side walls the particulates cling to it and dry. If the flue remains hot enough it should not condensate and collect particulates.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Dampering down my stove is only efficient if my splits are fully seasoned. Its a PITA. But that is the bad equation.
The solution is a quick hot fire and let stove burn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.