Shoulder season.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the sweep finally finished the chimney last evening so we had to try out the stove, even though it was still 80+ degrees :)

Beautiful! Now we just need winter... NOT! Although we look forward to the new stove, I'm willing to be patient for winter, LOL.

Ken

You're likely to get a lot of different answers, because "here" covers a lot of territory. Assuming "here" is North America, then we're talking about a range of latitude from Mexico to the northern reaches of Alaska and Canada. We're talking about elevations from below sea level to many 1000's of thousands of feet above. I doubt our friends in New Mexico are burning yet, but I'm quite sure our friends in the Yukon are. Here in the high desert of Central Oregon, we're back down into the 30's (F) overnight, the mornings are plenty chilly. Not burning yet, but I expect to be by the first of October. Rick

Here in Northern Massachusetts, we are now getting overnight temps in the 50-55 F range. Two or three nights ago it was 48. I was tempted to burn, but a slow chanting of, "Must save wood" did the trick.

Usually some time in October or November, depending on what the bi-polar weather is feeling like each year.
Slacked on sweeping, so now waiting till fall. Going to replace the glass, as I oops and cleaned it with a rag that had furnace cement on it, so its scratched inside.
I'll try and take photos and do a semi step by step to glass replacement if I am patient enough. Can't promise nuttin though.

AP, I'm surprised that your place isn't still glowing from your recent kiln firing!

28F or so every morning and the days heat up to about 68F. Great temps in our minds. We are fishing most days [steelhead]. We are lighting a small fire every other day in the T6 and the house holds the heat easily as we are insulation fanatics. We will probably be 24/7 Oct 1 but you never know with the new weather patterns.

burned 9 /12 friday small fire ..temps at night not cold enuff yet to cool the house down but the boss (lady of the ranch) would burn year around if id let her..she loves my wood... :coolsmirk: lots of fires comming soon..ZZZim

In my house we say that we don't turn on the heat until Thanksgiving. Gives ya something to be thankful for... In reality, Oct. 15 you need some heat at night. Nov. 1, ya need some heat sometimes during the day. By Thanksgiving, you are firing it up! Day before Thanksgiving is the last golf day for me...no matter what the weather!

bokehman said:
mannybeingmanny said:
In my house we say that we don't turn on the heat until Thanksgiving.
What's Thanksgiving?

Also how's your wood seasoning going. I've got a ton or so of oak left over from last season and I opened up a few pieces and water content in the centre is down to 7%.

What's Thankgiving?????????......what's a centre? :p

For all of you that are speculating about fall/winter, here is another piece to chew on. Chinese New year in 2009 falls in January instead of February. This means that winter weather conditions will arrive earlier and it will be a colder winter.

Still in the 80's here and I don't usually fire up the stove until Nov 1st.

Dunno bout the rest of you. But last year winter came in late. And drug out to damn near May it seems like. So I am saving as much wood as I can early on.
I'd rather be a lil cooler in the beginning, than cold at the end.

myzamboni said:
...Chinese New year in 2009 falls in January instead of February. This means that winter weather conditions will arrive earlier and it will be a colder winter...

This wouldn't be the Year of the Ferret coming up, would it? Rick

93 degrees outside of Baltimore today, A/C cranking, heading out to the pool in a few minutes. I think it will be a while yet before I'm firing up the Olympic.

We're dipping down in to the 30s at night. This morning, I had a small fire just to take the chill off the house. I'm hoping I don't have to start burning 24/7 as early this year. (I'm also hoping we don't get as much snow as last year--I had to go up on my roof twice last winter to shovel snow off. We got almost 8 feet of snow in the valley floor last year. Some of the higher mountains got 25-30 ft of snow. Snow melt lasted longer this year. Plus we've had a colder summer--it was cold enough you needed jackets on through the first 2 weeks in June and it was cold enough to need jackets the last 2 weeks in August. Thankfully, we're getting temps in the 70s this week. I'm trying to get as much of my wood cut split and stacked in the wood shed before a rainy front moves in on Thursday. Once rainy season starts in the fall, it doesn't seem to stop. So, in that vain, lunch break is over and it's back to my wood I go.)

Not burning yet, temp still in the mid 60's at night, 7o's durning the day. AC cranking today as it was 90 and HUMID :exclaim: .

Probably would start burning mid Oct.. Have not moved the wood to the house yet from it's drying place, at the back of the property.

maybe a few fires in Mid Sept, it can be warm or it can be cold in Michigan. Usually by late Oct we have her going full time.

Thanksgiving here in the USA means we all get together with in laws out laws, and family members we gererally dont like. We eat to much, tell lies, and fall asleep on the couch

Hanko said:
...Thanksgiving here in the USA means we all get together with in laws out laws, and family members we gererally dont like. We eat to much, tell lies, and fall asleep on the couch

That about sums up our November national holiday observance pretty well (one of them, anyway...we also have Veterans' Day in November, but not many families make a big deal about getting together on that one). Legend has it that the Pilgrims got together with the Indians they'd befriended and ate roasted turkey and corn and had a grand time. Perhaps, perhaps not. In modern times, as a kid growing up I always looked forward to Thanksgiving as a time of family gathered and time spent with folks I didn't routinely see, but valued. Hanko's description is pithy and insightful, although he was remiss in making no mention of watching football games (I'm talking football, here, not soccer). :coolsmirk: Rick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

Hanko said:
maybe a few fires in Mid Sept, it can be warm or it can be cold in Michigan. Usually by late Oct we have her going full time.

Thanksgiving here in the USA means we all get together with in laws out laws, and family members we gererally dont like. We eat to much, tell lies, and fall asleep on the couch

Same in my family, except we generally end up under the dining room table trying to keep the conversation going with the folks still able to sit up, and then we fall asleep there.

Hanko said:

Don't forget the main reason for Thanksgiving Hanko...WATCH FOOTBALL!!...(or in the Lions case...a game that has similarities to what others call football :sick: )

It got down to the upper 30's low 40's a couple of time last week.....I wouldn't say I was "burning" yet, but did have a couple of small fires to take the chill off. I've got plenty of wood, so I'm not worried about my supply.

Perfect sumation of Thanksgiving Hanko!

Status
Not open for further replies.