Shoulder season.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This might warrant a separate but htis onre raises a question for me.

With my old style "jumbo Moe" that exhausted thorught the 12"x 8" fireplace chimney, I avoided startiong the stove unless I could keep it going for at least a few days.

Therefore, I wouldn't start the season until the daytime temps stayed in the 40's.

My main concern, was that before the mass of the chimney get warmed up there would be a lot of creosote biuld up.(there was).

With my new, professionslly installed Country Canyon ST310, with a 6'' dia insulted flue, is it feasible to burn for shorter times( ie one cold night at a time) or do the old rules still apply?

Inputs appreciated

its crazy.. had darn close to 90 and humid as heck Sunday. Three days prior I kicked on the oil furnace!

burned a few pieces of an old cedar fence on friday just to get the chill out of the house for the baby.

Last year was my first at woodburning and I was such a newbie. I didn't even know what a shoulder month was. Thanks to all the great info I gleaned from this website I'm now qualified to answer - and since we have been breaking heat records I know this isn't the time. But perhaps later this week, or next, or...and I'm so much more prepared than last year. Bring it on :coolgrin:

Hello All!,
Haven't posted in the "Hearth Room" since last winter but felt the urge....I for one am ready to go wood wise...still need to sweep the chimney but will refuse to light the stove till November. The temperature is 44.5 F tonight....still wearing shorts and t-shirts...really hoping for an Indian summer!!!

Ian

this week is supposed to be cold at night. we are expecting our first hard frost Thursday morning, predicting 20's here. I jsut hate this time of the year. THis past sunday was pushing 90 degrees and humid. Now we drop 70 degrees to the 20's! crazy!

Been burning off and on for a little over a week.
We have been getting lows in the lower 30's to lower 40's, with highs in the 50-60 with clouds.
Last Monday morning we got down to 30.4 with frost.
According to the weather the cold front will be moving out and will be replaced by a warm front.

yes, last year I started burning daily (not 24hours though) about this time of the year. Truthfully, I wouldnt mind holdign out for another 2-3 weeks! I told myslef that I wont be lighting a fire until mid October!!!!

I wanted to wait till October myself, but when I had to turn the propane on when it got below 65 in the house I figured burning a little here and there would be better. If people want longer burning seasons move to the northern regions. Here in MN, I didn't even go 90 days before we dropped below freezing. Heck, in August we had lows in the upper 30's.

The growing season for me was terrible, we got 3 tomatoes from 100 plants, carrots weren't much bigger then 3 inches and wide as a pencil, onions were small. Reason for the small amount of tomatoes we planted them the 1st week in June, then in mid June we got frost.

I had a crap growing season as well. I blame the crazy rain. My garlic was really small... but a guy that lives 30 mins from me (NE) got giant bulbs, so I need to blame something else... trees are crowding in and blocking light... that's it- need to cut more down.

Tomato leaves all got spotty and fell off early. Peppers didn't ripen on time. Pretty crappy all around, except for strawberries that liked the mild weather.

gerry100 said:
This might warrant a separate but htis onre raises a question for me.

With my old style "jumbo Moe" that exhausted thorught the 12"x 8" fireplace chimney, I avoided startiong the stove unless I could keep it going for at least a few days.

Therefore, I wouldn't start the season until the daytime temps stayed in the 40's.

My main concern, was that before the mass of the chimney get warmed up there would be a lot of creosote biuld up.(there was).

With my new, professionslly installed Country Canyon ST310, with a 6'' dia insulted flue, is it feasible to burn for shorter times( ie one cold night at a time) or do the old rules still apply?

Inputs appreciated

Yes, you should be fine as long as you are burning well seasoned wood. And go for small, hotter fires rather than big smouldering ones.

We are in the same situation. Replaced a basement wood furnace vented into a masonary chimney (previous homeowner) with a new PE Summit with a new 6" insulated chimney. We just got the new chimney finished last week and had the first burn-in fire even though it was 80 degrees ;-) We are looking forward to a short cold spell, LOL.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.